Ambiguity Function Analysis of Polyphase Codes in Pulse Compression Radars
- 62 Downloads
In a radar system, pulse compression technique permits us to overcome the trade-off between long and short duration pulses. Long duration pulses are used for good detection, whereas short duration pulses are used for better range resolution. During pulse compression, side-lobes exist with the main-lobe of the matched filter response. These side-lobes are unwanted because small targets might be hidden in the side-lobes which create the problem of accurate detection. When side-lobes are reduced, then main-lobe width is expanded which affects the range resolution. Linear frequency modulated waveforms and different polyphase codes, viz. Frank, P1, P2, P3 and P4 are used to reduce the side-lobes in the pulse compression. In this paper, polyphase codes are observed in pulse compression technique for side-lobe reduction. Ambiguity function is used to observe the polyphase codes behavior for side-lobes and range resolution. Simulation results show that P4 codes are best for side-lobe reduction as well as for better Doppler tolerance. The entire stated method is done with the aid of mathematical equations and simulation verification.
KeywordsAmbiguity function Matched filter Peak side-lobe level Polyphase codes Pulse compression
Authors are thankful to the Department of Science and Technology (DST) for sanctioning a INSPIRE Fellowship with Registration No. IF-180847 for Ph.D. Programme under which this paper has been accomplished.
- 1.Skolnik MI (2001) Introduction to radar system, 3rd edn. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 2.Richards MA (2014) Fundamentals of radar signal processing. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 6.Mahafza BR (2013) Radar systems analysis and design using MATLAB. Chapman and Hall/CRC CRC Press LLCGoogle Scholar
- 9.Guodong J, Yunkai D, Robert W, Wei W, Yongwei Z, Yajun L, Liang D (2019) Mitigating range ambiguities with advanced nonlinear frequency modulation waveform. IEEE Geosci Remote Sens Lett, 1–5Google Scholar
- 10.Guodong J, Yunkai D, Robert W, Wei W, Pei W, Yajun L, Zhimin Z, Zhang Y (2019) An advanced nonlinear frequency modulation waveform for radar imaging with low sidelobe. IEEE Trans Geosci Remote Sens, 1–14Google Scholar
- 11.Thakur A, Talluri SR, Saini DS (2017) Signal generation employing Chebyshev polynomial for pulse compression with small relative side-lobe level. In: IEEE international conference communication on signal processing, 114–118. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccsp.2017.8286543
- 14.Thakur A, Talluri SR (2017) A novel pulse compression technique for side-lobe reduction using woo filter concepts. In: IEEE international conference communication on signal processing, 1086–1090. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccsp.2017.8286543
- 19.Thakur A, Saini DS (2019) Signal compression method based on discrete linear chirp transform. In: IEEE International conference communication on signal processing, 17–21. https://doi.org/10.1109/iccsp.2019.8697962