Development of PV Module Hotspot Detector
- 5 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to develop an analyzer for detecting and evaluating hotspot in problem in a photovoltaic (PV) module. There are many causes that can lead to the hotspot in PV modules such as shading effect, impurities present on the module surface and many more. The proposed system will capture the thermal images of the PV module and analyze each region in the image. The system will detect the hotspot regions and evaluate the severity level of the hotspots. Though the experiment, the proposed system could produce a reliable result compared to the conventional approach.
KeywordsPhotovoltaic module Solar hotspot Infrared thermal camera
The authors gratefully acknowledge Universiti Malaysia Pahang (UMP) under UMP Research Grant (RDU1703128) for their financial support and facilities.
- 1.Khambalkar V, Nage S (2010) Renewable energy: an assessment of public awarenessGoogle Scholar
- 4.Islam M, Hasan G, Ahmed I, Amin M, Dewan S, Rahman MM (2019) Infrared thermography based performance analysis of photovoltaic modules. In: 2019 international conference on energy and power engineering (ICEPE), Dhaka, Bangladesh, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 6.Ibarra-Castanedo C, Bendada A, Maldague X (2011) Infrared vision applications for the nondestructive testing of materials. In: 5th pan American conference for NDT, CancunGoogle Scholar
- 7.Samantaray P, Sasmita S (2016) Performance of solar photovoltaic module under partial shading conditions. In: 2016 10th International conference on intelligent systems and control (ISCO), pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 8.Salazar AM, Macabebe EQB (2016) Hotspots detection in photovoltaic modules using infrared thermography. In: MATEC web of conferences, vol 70, p 10015Google Scholar
- 9.Ngo GC, Macabebe EQB (2016) Image segmentation using K-means color quantization and density-based spatial clustering of applications with noise (DBSCAN) for hotspot detection in photovoltaic modules. In: 2016 IEEE region 10 conference (TENCON), pp 1614–1618Google Scholar