Influence of horizontal loading position on lateral resistance characteristics of piles
The horizontal resistance characteristics of piles in elastic media have been studied based on the beam theory. Various methods have been proposed as subgrade reaction models, which demonstrate the response of the ground. However, sufficient understanding is still lacking. The impact of the subgrade reactions on the horizontal resistance characteristics of a pile depends on the deformation mode of the pile. In this study, the relationship between the pile deformation mode and subgrade reaction development behavior was investigated through horizontal loading experiments of the piles. The results considered the influence of the difference in the deformation mode of the pile due to the difference in the horizontal loading position. Based on the above observations, it was suggested that the PHRI method of the type S model, assuming the Winkler-Spring model, is applicable only to the limited deformation mode.
Keywordslateral resistance of pile passive pile subgrade reaction passive earth pressure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank Mr. Shinozawa (Tokyo University of Science) for his support in this study. The present research work is a collaboration with Nippon Steel Corporation. This work was also supported by JSPS KAKENHI, grant number JP1804352.
- Chang, Y.L. (1937). Discussion on lateral pileloading test by L.B. Feagin, Transaction. ASCE, Vol, 102.Google Scholar
- Kikuchi, Y. (2009). Horizontal Subgrade Reaction Model for Estimation of Lateral Resistance of Pile, Report of the Port and Airport Research Institute, Vol.48, No.4, pp3-22.Google Scholar
- Kikuchi, Y. (2003). Lateral Resistance of soft landing mound less structure with piles. Report of the Port and Airport Research Institute, No.1039, pp5-191.Google Scholar
- Kubo, K. (1967). Experimental study on the lateral resistance of piles (Part 2) --effect of soil condition on lateral resistance of piles--.Monthly Reports of Transportation Technical Research Institute, Vol.11, No.12, pp1-27.Google Scholar
- Morikawa, Y, Kikuchi, Y, Mizutani, T. (2011). Development of Design Method for Anchored Sheet Pile Wall Reinforced by Additional Anchorage Work. Report of the Port and Airport Research Institute, Vol.50, No.4, pp107-131.Google Scholar
- Shonohara, T., Kubo, K. (1961). Experimental study on the lateral resistance of piles (part 1), --lateral resistance of single free head piles embedded in uniform sand layer --.Monthly Reports of Transportation Technical Research Institute, Vol.11, No.6, pp 1-74.Google Scholar