Study of excavation failure on expansive soils in Surabaya
- 2.8k Downloads
West Surabaya is well known for the existence of expansive soils. Many problems occur due to swell and shrink behavior. Volume changes in expansive soils occur due to stress release, softening due to water, or exposed to air. Stress release occurs during and after excavation. Failure on expansive soils has occurred in Surabaya causing soldier pile collapsed and shallow failure of exposed slope. This paper contains study of the mechanism of excavation failure on expansive soils. Modelling of the excavation is carried out using numerical model. The results of the study showed that the excavation failure was caused by additional force to the soldier pile due to the volume changes of expansive soils. This phenomenon seldom discussed or considered in the design stage. Overall, this study has successfully result in the understanding of the mechanism of the excavation failure in expansive soils.
KeywordsExpansive Soils Excavation Stress Release
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chen, F.H. (1988). Foundations on Expansive Soils. Elsevier, New York.Google Scholar
- Jones, D.E., and Holtz, W.G. (1973). Expansive Soils: The Hidden Disaster. Civil Eng., ASCE 43(8):49–51.Google Scholar
- Laporan Penyelidikan Tanah GHM, Surabaya. (2013) Data PersadaGoogle Scholar
- Nelson, J.D., and Miller, D.J. (1992). Expansive Soils: Problems and Practice in Foundation and Pavement Engineering. John-Wiley & Sons, Inc. Colorado.Google Scholar
- Nelson, J.D. et. al. (2015). Foundation Engineering for Expansive Soils. John-Wiley & Sons, Inc. New Jersey.Google Scholar