Study on effect of vertical load on performance of horizontallyloaded pile foundations through three-dimensional finite element analyses
The effect of vertical load on the horizontal response of pile foundations including pile group and piled raft are investigated through a three-dimensional finite element method. In this study, horizontal load tests on pile foundation models, working in different supporting conditions of pile group or piled raft, in a dry silica sand ground are simulated. The hypoplastic model, an incrementally nonlinear constitutive model, is used to model the ground. The foundations including raft and piles are modelled as linear elastic. The analysed results of a typical case are compared with the results of the corresponding model load test, which was carried out by the authors, to evaluate the applicability of the numerical model. After that, a series of numerical analyses are conducted to investigate the influence of vertical load on the horizontal response of the foundations. The analysed results indicate that the increase of vertical load leads to the increase of the horizontal resistance and the internal forces of the piles are influenced by the vertical load level.
Keywordspile foundation horizontal resistance load test numerical analyses
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Anaraki, K.E. (2008). Hypoplasticity Investigated-Parameter Determination and Numerical Simulation. Master’s thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, the Netherlands.Google Scholar
- Poulos, H.G. (1971). Behaviour of laterally loaded piles: I-single piles. Journal Soil Mechanics Foundations Division, 97(5), pp 711–731.Google Scholar
- Poulos, H.G., and Small, J.C., Chow, H. (2011). Piled raft foundations for tall buildings. Geotechnical Engineering Journal SEAGS & AGSSEA, 46(2), pp 78-84.Google Scholar
- Unsever, Y.S., Matsumoto. T., and Ozkan, M.Y. (2016). The effect of vertical loading on static cyclic horizontal loading of a capped pile in model sand ground. Proc. 12th International Congress on Advances in Civil Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Vu, A.T. (2017). Experimental and Numerical Study on Behaviours of Pile Group and Piled Raft Foundations Having Batter Piles Subjected to Combination of Vertical and Cyclic Horizontal Loading, Dr. Thesis of Kanazawa University, 164pp.Google Scholar