The impact of groundwater lowering on pile bearing capacity in Hanoi – Vietnam
In recent decades, over-exploiting water wage has lowered dramatically the groundwater level in Hanoi city and other major cities in Vietnam. This may result in geotechnical hazards in changing the mechanism of the underground environment, especially risks relate to the deep foundation. As a result of lowering groundwater, the bearing capacity of the existing piles could be reduced significantly due to development of the negative skin friction. To evaluate the influences of lowering grocundwater for the bearing capacity of the piles in the areas of the Hanoi city, the classical and finite element methods were employed to back analyze the actual monitoring data. The results of the analysis have showed a good agreement with the actual monitoring data and the areas of Hanoi City influenced by lowering groundwater for the bearing capacity of the pile have been established to assist the deep foundation design.
Keywordsgroundwater lowering negative skin friction pile group Hanoi prediction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors would like to thank Dr. Tan, Vu Minh. National University of Civil Engineering, Hanoi, Viet Nam, for his valuable review and comments on the manuscript draft.
- Abhijit, S. (2015). The influence of negative skin friction on piles and pile groups & settlement of existing structures. International Journal on Emerging Technologies,6(2): 53–59. 2015. M.Tech.(Structure), West Central Railway, Bhopal, (MP), INDIA.Google Scholar
- Pham, T. A., Nguyen, T. L., Trinh, V. C. (2016). Study the behavior of single pile through T-Z curve correction with static compressed data. Journal of Construction Science and Technology, No 4. 2016. Military Technical Academy.Google Scholar
- Phan, H. Q. (2016). Foundation Engineering. Department of Soil mechanic and Foundation engineering, National University of Civil Engineering, Hanoi, Viet Nam.Google Scholar
- Thinh, H P., Strokova, L. A. (2015). Prediction maps of land subsidence caused by groundwater exploitation in Hanoi, Vietnam. Department of Hydrogeology, Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology, Institute of Natural Resources, National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, Tomsk, Russia.Google Scholar
- Thinh, H. P. and Strokova, L. A .(2017). The typification of soil strata of the territory of the city with Hanoi (Vietnam) in the study of the subsidence of the earth’s surface during water lowering. Georesource engineering. 2017. T. 328. No 4. 6–17. National Research Tomsk Polytechnic University, Russia, 634050, Tomsk, Lenin Ave., 30.Google Scholar
- Tran, V. T., Ha, N. A., Dao, M. D. and Nguyen, M. T. (2013). Forecast changes of ground surface in Ha Dong area caused by urbanization and undergroundwater exploitation. Journal of Earth Sciences, No 3. 2013. Institute of Geology, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology.Google Scholar