Geotechnics for Sustainable Infrastructure Development pp 1107-1112 | Cite as
Assessing the Degree of Slaking Deterioration of Rock Materials by Focusing on Grain Refinement
- 2.8k Downloads
In order to evaluate the progress of slaking by focusing on the change in grain size, we carried out dry/wet repeated tests and triaxial compression tests on these specimens obtained from sedimentary rocks which are adjusted grain size corresponding to an actual embankment. From the results of these tests, we conclude that the fracture mode of particles by slaking may differ depending on the particle size. In addition, it was found that even if compacted to the same density, the most significant changes in the maximum deviator stress and the stiffness are caused by wet/dry cycles. The strength increased when the number of wet/dry cycles was low, but decreased as the number of wet/dry cycles increased.
Keywordsslaking fine grains
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Kiyota, T., Sattar, A., Konagai, K., Kazmi, Z.A., Okuno, D., and Ikeda, T. (2011). Breaching failure of a huge landslide dam formed by the 2005 Kashmir earthquake, Soils and Foundations, Vol. 51, No. 6, 1179–1190.Google Scholar
- Hiraike, T., Hirakata, R., Takatsuka, K., and Kamikura, M. (2010). Countermeasures against the fall of large-scale cutting slopes in the IC improvement work on Murakami roadside, The 28th Conference of Kanto Branch of JSCE.Google Scholar
- Japanese Geotechnical Society (2018). Laboratory Testing Standards of Geomaterials, Vol. 2, JGS0523-2009.Google Scholar
- Kikumoto, M., Fukuda, T., and Kyokawa, H. (2016). Slaking phenomena and deformation behavior of crushed mudstone, Journal of JSCE C (Geoengineering), Vol. 72, No. 2, pp 126–135.Google Scholar
- Shima, H., and Imagawa, S. (1980). The settlement of compacted soft rock-fragments and the countermeasure, Soil mechanics and foundation engineering, Vol. 28, No. 7, pp. 45–52.Google Scholar
- Sakai, T., and Nakano, M. (2019). Effects of slaking and degree of compaction on the mechanical properties of mudstones with varying slaking properties, Soils and Foundations, Vol. 59, 56–66.Google Scholar
- Nippon Expressway Company (2015). Expressway Specification by NEXCO, Standard Design Specifications, Earthworks, Vol. 1, JHS110-2015.Google Scholar