Political Enactments, Controls and Intuition as Communication
- 9 Downloads
In the view of this chapter, contemporary communication culture in India has to be reviewed with the philosophies of Deleuze and Bergson. Deleuze says that the control mechanisms have no variations as they represent mostly a numerical language in the form of codes, which is used for reading information or dismissing it. In India, controls operate in such a way that the state forces the customs and culture of people in a particular mould and the communication systems follow suit. This chapter examines the contemporary political enactments in India and the influence of the same on the citizens. The news, events, reports, stories and all forms of exchanges through media are not the only communicative materials subjected to controls, but the personal interchanges are also codified and enclosed in the regulations of control society. This chapter tries to establish how intuition can be a reliable state of communication and how the correspondence occurs in this state. This chapter tries to analyze the concept of intuition through Deleuzian and Bergsonian models to see how it can naturally become a method of alternative communication.
KeywordsDeleuze Bergson Intuition Control society Communication Hindutva Bioplasma Consciousness
- Adamski, G. A. (2011). Bioplasma and consciousness. Neuro Quantology, 9 (4). http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.841.4586&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Anwar, J. (2018a, December 21). 10 Govt. bodies can now monitor and seize any computer, but calm down India is not a surveillance state yet. India Today. https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/talking-points/story/10-govt-bodies-can-now-monitor-and-seize-any-computer-but-calm-down-india-is-not-a-surveillance-state-yet-1414420-2018-12-21. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Anwar, T. (2018b, December 7). Babri masjid demolitions: Journalists recall the horror. Newsclick. https://www.newsclick.in/babri-masjid-demolition-journalists-recall-horror. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Bergson, H. (1911a/1998). Creative evolution. New York: Dover Publication.Google Scholar
- Bergson, H. (1911b). Mind and energy. New York: Henry Holt and Company.Google Scholar
- Bergson, H. (1911c). Matter and memory. New York: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- Bergson, H. (1946). Creative mind—An introduction to metaphysics. New York: Dover Publication.Google Scholar
- Clark, A., & Chalmers, D. (1998). The extended mind. http://www.nyu.edu/gsas/dept/philo/courses/concepts/clark.html. Accessed on 21 September 2019.
- Collins, L., & Lapierre, D. (1997). Freedom at midnight. New Delhi: Avon Books.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1990). Control and becoming. In conversation with Antonio Negri., trans. Joughin M, Futur Anterieur. https://thefunambulist.net/law/philosophy-control-and-becoming-a-conversation-between-toni-negri-and-gilles-deleuze. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Deleuze, G. (1991). Bergsonism. New York: Zone Books.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1992, October). Postscript on the societies of control (Vol. 59). Massachusetts: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1994). Difference and repetition. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (1997). Cinema I—Movement image. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Deleuze, G. (2004). Desert islands—Of other texts 1953–1974. Los Angeles: Semiotexte.Google Scholar
- Fell, E. 2007. Duration, temporality and self: Prospects for the future of Bergsonism. Ph.D. thesis, University of Central Lancashire. https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/9632847.pdf. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Foucault, M. (1977). Discipline and punish—The Birth of prison. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Indian Express. (2017, October 9). What is the 2002 Godhra train burning case. https://indianexpress.com/article/what-is/what-is-godhra-case-gujarat-riots-sabarmati-express-narendra-modi-4881537/. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- India Today. (2018, June 6). What happened during 1984 operation blue star. https://www.indiatoday.in/fyi/story/1984-operation-blue-star-amritsar-1251681-2018-06-06. Accessed on 21 September 2019.
- Johnson, T. A. (2019, May 26). Explained: Dabholkar-Lankesh murders—What the investigations into violent right-wing activism show. Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/explained/explained-dabholkar-lankesh-murders-investigations-right-wing-activism-cbi-sit-pansare-kalburgi-5749338/. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Kockan, Z. (2014). Bergson method of intuition towards a philosophical life. PhD Dissertation, Graduate School of Social Sciences, Middle East Technical University, Turkey. http://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12618036/index.pdf. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Malhotra, I. (2015). Mandal vs mandir. Indian Express. https://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/mandal-vs-mandir/. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Miglani, S. (2001, December 14). 12 Die in Indian parliament attack. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/dec/14/kashmir.india. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Noorani, A. G. (2013, December 13). Patel’s communalism—A document record. Frontline. https://frontline.thehindu.com/cover-story/patels-communalisma-documented-record/article5389270.ece?homepage=true. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- O’Sullivan, S. (2016). Deleuze against control: Fictioning to myth-science. Theory, Culture, Society, 33 (7–8), 205–220. https://www.simonosullivan.net/articles/deleuze_against_control.pdf. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Ragothaman, K. (2013). Conspiracy of killing Rajiv Gandhi: From CBI files. New Delhi: Manas Publications.Google Scholar
- Roy, A. (2006, October 30). And his life should become extinct. Outlook India. https://www.outlookindia.com/magazine/story/and-his-life-should-become-extinct/232979. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Safi, M. (2018). Demonetisation drive that cost India 1.5 m jobs fails to uncover ‘black money’. The Guardian. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/aug/30/india-demonetisation-drive-fails-uncover-black-money. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Schlagal, R. H. (1952). Intellect and intuition—In the philosophy of Henri Bergson. Dissertation, Springfield College, Massachusetts. https://open.bu.edu/ds2/stream/?#/documents/170066/page/1. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Sharma, M. (2009, August 30). The hijacking of Indian Airlines flight IC-814. NDTV. https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/the-hijacking-of-indian-airlines-flight-ic-814-400555. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Suhrith, P. (2018, January 16). Aadhaar: Enabling a form of super surveillance. The Hindu. https://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/aadhaar-enabling-a-form-of-supersurveillance/article22444686.ece. Accessed 21 September 2019.
- Sutar, K. D. (2018, November 1). Modi unveils statue of unity, pays Sardar Patel a tall tribute. India Today. https://www.indiatoday.in/mail-today/story/modi-unveils-statue-of-unity-pays-sardar-patel-a-tall-tribute-1379915-2018-11-01. Accessed 21 September 2019.