Investigation of Solitary Wave Over a Trench Using a Non-hydrostatic Numerical Model
- 56 Downloads
A three-dimensional non-hydrostatic model was presented to simulate solitary wave propagation. A one equation turbulent model (Spalart-Allmaras model) was used to calculate the eddy viscosity. To simulate the bottom boundary layer flow, a high grid resolution was used within the boundary layer. The bottom shear stress was directly calculated using the turbulent model. The model was validated by means of comparing the calculated water elevation with analytical results. Taking a stable solitary wave being simulated in a long numerical flume as the initial condition, we simulated the solitary wave propagation over a trench. The wave profile skewness, the velocity distribution, the local flow separation, and the dissolved mass transportation were elaborately analysed.
KeywordsSolitary wave Boundary layer Non-hydrostatic model Trench
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation (No. 11572196) and the National Basic Research Programme (973 programme) of China (No. 2014CB046200).
- Balachandar, R., Polatel, C., Hyun, B.-S., Yu, K., Lin, C.-L., Yue, W., et al. (2002). LDV, PIV and LES investigation of flow over a fixed dune. In Proceeding of the Symposium Held in Monte Verità: Sedimentation and Sediment Transport (pp. 171–178). Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic.Google Scholar
- Casulli, V. (1999). A semi-implicit finite difference method for non-hydrostatic, free-surface flows. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluids, 30, 425–440. https://doi.org/10.1002/(SICI)1097-0363(19990630)30:4%3c425:AID-FLD847%3e3.0.CO;2-D.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grimshaw, R. (1971). The solitary wave in water of variable depth. Part 2. Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 46(3), 611–622. https://doi.org/10.1017/s00221120710007390.
- Jankowski, J. A. (1999). A non-hydrostatic model for free surface flows. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Hannover, Germany.Google Scholar
- Li, B., & Fleming, C. A. (2001). Three-dimensional model of Navier-Stokes equations for water waves. Journal of Waterway, Port, Coastal and Ocean Engineering, 127(1), 16–25. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-950X(2001)127:1(16).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yue, W., Lin, C. L., & Patel, V. C. (2006). Large-eddy simulation of turbulent flow over a fixed two-dimensional dune. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, 132(7), 643–651. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9429(2006)132:7(643).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang, J. X., Liang, D. F., & Liu, H. (2018). A hybrid hydrostatic and non-hydrostatic numerical model for shallow flow simulations. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 205, 21–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecss.2018.03.012.