Environmental Education in New Zealand
We take a stroll through some of my personal experiences of environmental education via family, school and lifestyle, and make some links to New Zealand’s 1998 National Strategy for Environmental Education and our changes in 2018 for something better. We explore the nature of environmental education in New Zealand’s schools drawing from published research, and ask ‘What is really going on here?’ Through the lens of environmental education, we explore the nature of education for values, roles for higher education, new proposals in 2016 and the national situation in 2018.
- Beehive.govt.nz. (2019). Environment 2010 strategy. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from https://www.beehive.govt.nz/feature/environment-2010-strategy.
- Bolstad, R., Joyce, C., & Hipkins, R. (2015). Environmental education in New Zealand schools. Research update 2015. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from http://www.nzcer.org.nz/research/publications/environmental-education-new-zealand-schools.
- Department of Conservation. (2016). Draft national strategy for environmental education for sustainability. Retrieved September 1, 2016, from http://www.doc.govt.nz/get-involved/have-your-say/all-consultations/2016/national-strategy-for-environmental-education-for-sustainability/draft-strategy-for-2016-2026/.
- Department of Conservation. (2019). Environmental education for sustainability strategy and action plan. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from https://www.doc.govt.nz/about-us/our-policies-and-plans/education-strategies/environmental-education-for-sustainability-strategy-and-action-plan/.
- The Field. (2008). Save the River Wandle, January 21st. Retrieved February 19, 2019, from https://www.thefield.co.uk/fishing/save-the-river-wandle-22840.
- Ministry of Education. (2015). Guidelines for environmental education in New Zealand schools. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from http://nzcurriculum.tki.org.nz/Curriculum-resources/Education-for-sustainability/Tools-and-resources/Guidelines-for-Environmental-Education-in-New-Zealand-Schools.
- Ministry for the Environment. (1998). Learning to care for our environment. Me Ako ki te Tiaki Taiao. Retrieved August 5, 2019, from http://gdsindexnz.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/81.-Learning-to-Care-for-Our-Environment-1998.pdf.
- Notman, R. (2012). Implementing values in the New Zealand curriculum: Four years on. Set: Research Information for Teachers, 3, 41–49.Google Scholar
- Ruskin, J. (1870). Work never given. Retrieved February 19, 2019, from https://www.wandletrust.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Ruskin_-_Crown_of_Wild_Olive_-_full_Wandle_text_1870.jpg.
- Shephard, K., Harraway, J., Jowett, T., Lovelock, B., Skeaff, S., Slooten, L., et al. (2015b). Longitudinal analysis of the environmental attitudes of university students. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from https://ourarchive.otago.ac.nz/handle/10523/7641.
- Shephard, K. (2018, June 20). Higher education for sustainable development. In N. Jackson & J. Willis (Eds.), Learning to sustain ourselves and the world (pp. 25–28). Lifewide.Google Scholar
- Swedish Education Authority. (2018). How Swedish HEI:s work in promoting sustainable development (Summary in English). Retrieved August 1, 2019, from https://english.uka.se/about-us/publications/reports–guidelines/reports–guidelines/2018-02-15-how-swedish-heis-work-in-promoting-sustainable-development.html.
- Universitetskanslersämbetet. (2017). Universitets och högskolors arbete med att främja en hållbar utveckling. En tematisk utvärdering. Rapport 2017:12. UKÄ, Stockholm. Retrieved August 1, 2019, from https://www.uka.se/download/18.4b823b1c15e946e3e573710/1506947485916/rapport-2017-10-02-hallbar-utveckling-del-1.pdf.
- United Nations Conference on Environment and Development. (1992). Agenda 21 (p. 2). Chapter 36. http://www.un.org/geninfo/bp/enviro.html.
- University Leaders for a Sustainable Future. (2014). Talloires declaration institutional signatory list. Retrieved January 12, 2015, from http://www.ulsf.org/programs_talloires_signatories.html.
- University of Otago. (2017). Sustainability strategic framework: 2017–2021, draft for consultation. Retrieved August 6, 2018, from https://www.otago.ac.nz/coo/otago635558.pdf.
- University of Otago. (2018). Sustainability strategic framework: 2017–2021. Retrieved August 6, 2018, from https://www.otago.ac.nz/coo/otago664842.pdf.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. (1987). Brundtland report: Our common future. Retrieved February 20, 2019, from http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf.