Role and Impact of Wearables in IoT Healthcare
- 18 Downloads
Introduction of Internet of things (IoT) in healthcare domain is affecting the life of people. Involvement of latest and advance wearable devices is making things simpler for patients who are suffering from some disease. These wearable devices are manufactured with some characteristics, which make them an acceptable part of human body. Latest technologies like edge computing are also assisting wearables to deliver the expected performance. This paper attempts to highlight the role of wearables in IoT healthcare, the reference architecture of latest technologies used in wearables and various communication protocols used in IoT. In addition, this paper also highlights the multiple wearables used in IoT healthcare with their characteristics.
KeywordsIoT Healthcare Smart wearables
- 4.Argus Insights. 2015. As Fitbit Prepares for IPO, New Consumer Research Reveals Areas of Wearables Market Vulnerability for Fitness Band Leader. (Online). Available http://www.argusinsights.com/fitbit-ipo-release/.
- 6.Atallah, L., G.G. Jones, R. Ali, J.J. Leong, B. Lo, and G.Z. Yang. 2011. Observing Recovery from Knee-Replacement Surgery by Using Wearable Sensors. In Proceedings of the IEEE 2011 International Conference Body Sensor Networks, 2934, May 2011.Google Scholar
- 7.Metcalf, D., R. Khron, and P. Salber (eds.). 2016. Health-e Everything: Wearables and the Internet of Things for Health: Part Two: Wearables and IoT. Orlando, FL: Moving Knowledge.Google Scholar
- 8.Cicero, M.X., B. Walsh, Y. Solad, T. Whitfill, G. Paesano, K. Kim, C.R. Baum, and D.C. Cone. 2015. Do You See What I See? Insights from Using Google Glass for Disaster Telemedicine Triage, Prehospital and Disaster Medicine 30 (01): 48.Google Scholar
- 9.Metcalf, D., R. Khron, and P. Salber (eds.). 2016. Health-e Everything: Wearables and the Internet of Things for Health: Part One: Wearables for Healthcare. Orlando, FL: Moving Knowledge.Google Scholar
- 10.Shi, W., J. Cao, Q. Zhang, Y. Li, and L. Xu. 2016. Edge Computing: Vision and Challenges. IEEE Internet of Things Journal 3 (5)Google Scholar
- 11.Ashton, K. 2009. That Internet of Things Thing. RFiD Journal 22 (7): 97114.Google Scholar