Performance Analysis of Flappy Bird Playing Agent Using Neural Network and Genetic Algorithm
The aim of this paper is to develop and study an artificial intelligence based game-playing agent using genetic algorithm and neural networks. We first create an agent which learns how to optimally play the famous “Flappy Bird” game by safely dodging all the barriers and flapping its way through them and then study the effect of changing various parameters like number of neurons on the hidden layer, gravity, speed, gap between trees has on the learning process. The gameplay was divided into two level of difficulty to facilitate study on the learning process. Phaser Framework was used to facilitate HTML5 programming for introducing real-life factors like gravity, collision and Synaptic Neural Network library was used to implement neural network so as to avoid creating a neural network from scratch. Machine Learning Algorithm which we have adopted in this project is based on the concept of Neuro-Evolution and this form of machine learning uses algorithms which can evolve and mature over time such as a genetic algorithm to train artificial neural networks.
KeywordsArtificial Intelligence Neural network Genetic algorithm AI Game-playing agent Flappy bird
- 1.Rhiannon, W.: What is Flappy Bird? The game taking the App Store by storm. The Daily Telegraph. January 30 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.ASK for Game Task. https://www.askforgametask.com/tutorial/machine-learning-algorithm-flappy-bird/. Accessed 10 Feb 2019
- 3.Kumar, A., Garg, S., Garg, S., Chaudhry, R.: Flappy Bird Game AI using Neural Networks, 1–8 (2016) Google Scholar
- 5.Sahin, A., Atici, E., Kumbasar, T.: Type-2 fuzzified flappy bird control system. In: 2016 IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, FUZZ-IEEE 2016, pp. 1578–1583 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1109/FUZZ-IEEE.2016.7737878
- 8.Nie, Y.: How does a Flappy Bird Learn to Fly Itself How does a Flappy Bird Learn to Fly Itself, August (2017)Google Scholar