Franchisee Cricket and Cricketers’ Auction
Franchisee based cricket tournaments triggered with the Indian Premier League that started in 2008. Prior to that, there was no such type of cricket where teams were formed by franchisee through competitive bidding. The chapter deals with the origin of this new dimension of cricket and the process through which each cricketer is associated with a price tag. The different models of players’ bidding in general, used in other franchisee sports, and with particular reference to the IPL are discussed in this chapter. Some existing models of predicting the final bid price of the cricketers are also visited.
- Basu, I. (2008, January 27). Does the IPL model make sense? The Times of India. Retrieved from http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2008-01-27/special-report/27748861_1_ipl-indian-premier-league-prize-money.
- Bennett, J. M., & Flueck, J. A. (1983). An evaluation of major league baseball offensive performance models. The American Statistician, 37, 76–82.Google Scholar
- Cramton, P. (2006). Simultaneous ascending auctions. In P. Cramton, Y. Shoham, & R. Steinberg (Eds.), Combinatorial auctions (pp. 99–114). Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Dobson, S., & Goddard, J. (1998). Performance, revenue, and cross subsidization in the football league, 1927–1994. The Economic History Review, 51, 763–785.Google Scholar
- ESPN-Cricinfo. http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2014/engine/series/695871.html?view=records. As on January 22, 2015.
- Fort, R. D. (2006). Sports economics (3rd ed.). NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Goeree, J. O., Holt, A. C., & Ledyard, J. O. (2006). An experimental comparison of the FCC’s combinatorial and non-combinatorial simultaneous multiple round auctions. Report for Wireless Telecommunications Bureau of the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Retrieved from http://wireless.fcc.gov/auctions/data/papersAndStudies/fcc_final_report_071206.p.
- Gujarati, D. N. (1993). Basic econometrics (4th ed., p. 516). New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- IPL Tournament Website. http://www.iplt20.com/stats. As on as on January 22, 2015.
- IPL Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Premier_League. As on 22 January 2015.
- Kamath, V. (2008, February 2008). IPL is an idea whose time has come. Business Line. Retrieved from http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/todays-paper/article1111722.ece.
- Krishna, V. (2002). Auction theory. London, England: Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Krishna, V. J. (2010). Auction theory (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Academic Press/Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Leyton-Brown, K., Pearson, M., & Shoham, Y. (2000). Towards a universal test suite for combinatorial auction algorithms. EC ’00 Proceedings 2nd ACM conference Electronic Commerce, (ACM Press, New York), pp 66–76.Google Scholar
- Pande, B. (2011, April 7). IPL-4: IPL’s brand value falls by 11% to $3.67 billion. The Economic Times. Retrieved from http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-04-07/news/29392570_1_brand-finance-indian-premier-league-ipl.
- Parker, D., Burns, P., & Natarajan, H., (2008). ‘Player valuations in the Indian Premier League. Frontier Economics, 1–17 Oct 2008.Google Scholar
- Patterson, K. (2000). An introduction to applied econometrics (p. 10). New York: St. Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- Ramanna, V. S. (2009). Indian Premier League (SSRN Working Paper 1354534). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1354534&download=yes. As on January 22, 2015.
- Rastogi, S., & Deodhar, S. (2009). Player pricing and valuation of cricketing attributes: Exploring the IPL twenty-twenty vision (Working Paper). Ahmedabad, India: IIM Ahmedabad.Google Scholar
- Saikia, H. & Bhattacharjee, D. (2011) On classification of all-rounders of the Indian Premier League (IPL): A Bayesian approach. Vikalpa: The Journal for Decision Makers, 36 (4), 51–66.Google Scholar
- Sheikh, A. (2012, April 7). Five seasons on, IPL returns remain below expectations. LiveMint.com, The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from http://www.livemint.com/2012/04/07003654/Five-seasons-on-IPL-returns-r.html.
- Singh, S., Gupta, S., & Gupta, V. (2011). Dynamic Bidding Strategy for Players Auction in IPL. International Journal of Sports Science and Engineering, 5(1), 003–016.Google Scholar
- Swartz, T. B. (2011). Drafts versus auctions in the Indian premier league. South African Statistical Journal, 45, 249–292.Google Scholar
- Walsh, W. E., & Wellman, M. P. (2000). Combinatorial auctions for supply chain formation. ACM Conference on Electronic Commerce, (EC-00), 260–269.Google Scholar
- Wiki TWENTY20. (2015). List of domestic Twenty20 cricket competitions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_domestic_Twenty20_cricket_competitions. As on January 22, 2015.