Microstructural and Mechanical Behaviour of Al6061/Gr/WC Hybrid Metal Matrix Composite
This paper aims to analyse the microstructural and mechanical behaviour of aluminium hybrid metal matrix composite produced by the stir casting process. Initially, test samples are prepared using Al6061 alloy as matrix and graphite (Gr) as reinforcement by varying its weight concentrations in 3, 6, 9 and 12%. The analysis showed that adding Gr by 9 wt% resulted in better tensile strength, percentage elongation and hardness. Consequently, hybrid composites were produced by reinforcing with two metal powders, Gr at 9 wt% and varying Tungsten carbide (WC) wt. Percentages by 1, 2 and 3 wt%. Samples are again tested for tensile strength, percentage of elongation and hardness as cast and T6 heat treated. The results showed that heat-treated samples showed superior mechanical behaviour than at the as cast conditions.
KeywordsAluminium hybrid metal matrix composites Stir casting T6 heat treatment Mechanical properties
- 1.Kaushik, N., Singhaal, S.: Mechanical and metallurgical examinations of stir cast aluminium matrix composites: a review study. Int. J. Eng. Technol. 9(4), 3201–3217 (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Robert, M.J.: Mechanics of Composite Materials, 2nd Edn. Tailor and Francis, Inc. (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Slobodan, M., et al.: Tribological potential of hybrid composites based on zinc and aluminium alloys reinforced with SiC and graphite particles. Tribol. Ind. 34(4) 177–185 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Omrani, E., Moghadam, A.D., Menezes, P.L., Rohatgi, P.K.: Influences of graphite reinforcement on the tribological properties of self-lubricating aluminum matrix composites for green tribology, sustainability, and energy efficiency—a review. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 83(1–4), 325–346 (2016)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kumar, G.B.V., Swamy, A.R.K., Ramesha, A.: Studies on properties of as-cast Al6061-WC-Gr hybrid MMCs. J. Compos. Mater. 46(17) 2111–2122 (2012)Google Scholar