A Comparative Study of Two Different Spam Detection Methods
With the development of the Internet, the problem of spam has become more and more prominent. Attackers can spread viruses through spam or place malicious advertisements, which have seriously interfered with people’s life and internet security. Therefore, it is of great significance to study efficient spam detection methods. Currently using machine learning methods for spam detection has become a mainstream direction. In this paper, the machine learning method of Bayesian linear regression and decision forest regression are used to conduct experiments on a data set from UCI Machine Learning Repository. We use the trained models to predict whether a mail is spam or not, and find better prediction scheme by comparing quantitative results. The experimental results show that the method of decision forest regression can get better performance and is suitable for numerical prediction.
KeywordsBayesian linear regression Decision forest regression Spam detection Machine learning Numerical prediction
This research was supported by CERNET Innovation Project (NGII20180407).
- 1.Benevenuto, F., Magno, G., Rodrigues, T., Almeida, V.: Detecting spammers on twitter. In: Collaboration, Electronic Messaging, Anti-Abuse and Spam Conference (CEAS), p. 12, July 2010Google Scholar
- 4.Li, S., et al.: WAF-based chinese character recognition for spam image filtering. Chin. J. Electron. 27(5), 1050–1055 (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Rusland, N.F., Wahid, N., Kasim, S., Hafit, H.: Analysis of Naïve Bayes algorithm for email spam filtering across multiple datasets. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. IOP Publishing, August 2017Google Scholar
- 6.Wei, Q. Understanding of the naive Bayes classifier in spam filtering. In: AIP Conference Proceedings. AIP Publishing (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.He, L.: Identification of product review spam by random forest. J. Chin. Inf. Process. 29(3), 150–154 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Al-Janabi, M., Andras, P.: A systematic analysis of random forest based social media spam classification. In: Yan, Z., Molva, R., Mazurczyk, W., Kantola, R. (eds.) Network and System Security. NSS 2017. LNCS, vol. 10394, pp. 427–438. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64701-2_31
- 12.Sun, X., Han, L., Li, K.: One email filtering system based on category feature selection and feedback learning random forest algorithm. Comput. Appl. Softw. 32(4), 67–71 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Huawei Cloud. https://support.huaweicloud.com/algnoderef-mls/mls_02_0054.html. Accessed 05 July 2019