Numerical Analysis of Initial Dynamic State of Bundle of Acroporidae spawning in Amitori Bay
This study was conducted to assess numerical simulation methods used to examine the initial dynamic state of coral bundle that has not been studied because of a shortage of observational data. For that purpose, we conducted field observations of spawning of Acroporidae in Amitori Bay, Iriomote Island, Japan. Results revealed spawning sites of Acropora digitifera, of which mass spawning were observed, the number of the spawning egg–sperm bundle and the rise rate of the bundle. After we conducted numerical simulations of the initial dynamic state of Acropora digitifera bundles based on observational data, we reproduced initial dynamic state characteristics such as the bundle rise and dispersion.
KeywordsAcropora digitifera Amitori Bay Egg–sperm bundle Numerical simulation
The field survey in this study was carried out with the cooperation of Hiroyuki Inoue who was then a research student with the Okinawa Regional Research Center, and Masaki Jinno, Mio Tanaka, Kazuho Hiroshima, and Yuiko Yamamoto who were then students of School of Marine Science and Technology, Tokai University. The authors extend their deepest gratitude for this kind of support.
- Kitada H (2002) Fecundity of Acropora tenuis at Akajima Island, Midoriishi, No. 13, pp 26–19Google Scholar
- Murakami T, Ukai A, Kohno H, Mizutani A, Shimokawa S, Nakase K, Yasuda T (2012) Relationships between distributions of coral and physical environments in Amitori Bay, Iriomote Island, Japan. J Japan Soc Civil Eng B2 B3 68:1133–1138 (in Japanese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Murakami T, Kohno H, Yamamoto Y, Mizutani A, Shimokawa S (2015) Numerical simulation for initial dynamic state of bundle based on field observations of Acroporidae spawning in Amitori Bay, Iroomote Island, Japan. J Japan Soc Civil Eng B2 71:I_1225–I_1230 (in Japanese with English abstract)Google Scholar
- Nishimori M, Veron JEN (1995) Hermatypic corals of Japan. Kaiyusha, Tokyo, pp 32–409 and 412–413 (439 p)Google Scholar
- Takayama Y, Katakura N, Ito K, Sumihiro T, Hiroshima H (2013) A numerical case study of coral Larva transport in South Coast of the Arabian Gulf. J Japan Soc Civil Eng B3 69:I_ 1102–I_1107 (in Japanese with English abstract)Google Scholar