Circular Economy in India
India is a fastest growing economy with unity in many diversities comprising of 28 states and nine union territories. The population in India as estimated in 2019 is at 1.37 billion based on the most recent UN data and 2011 census data. India is the second-most populous country. It is the seventh-largest country in the world, having total area of 3,287,263 km2 (1,269,219 sq mi) measuring 3214 km (1997 mi) from north to south and 2933 km (1822 mi) from east to west. A land frontier of 15,200 km (9445 mi) and a coastline of 7,516.6 km (4671 mi) exist in India (Annual Report 2016–17).
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with ethical standards of the institutional research committee and informed consent was obtained from all individual participants in the study carried out by International Society of Waste Management, Air and Water (ISWMAW). Authors appreciate International Society of Waste Management, Air and Water Authority for generous support towards the successful completion of the study.
- AIS-129: ELV. (2015). Guidelines for environmentally sound management of end-of-life vehicles (ELVs).Google Scholar
- Annual Report. (2016–17). Ministry of Home Affairs (PDF). Retrieved 7 March 2018. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geography_of_India.
- Asase, M., Yanful, E. K., Mensah, M., Stanford, J., & Amponsah, S. (2015). Comparison of municipal solid waste management systems in Canada and Ghana: a case study of the cities of London, Ontario, and Kumasi, Ghana. Waste Management, 29,(10), 2779–2786. 2009. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2009.06.019
- Baldé, C. P., Forti V., Gray, V., Kuehr, R., Stegmann, P. (2017). The Global E-waste Monitor – 2017, United Nations University (UNU), International Telecommunication Union (ITU) & International Solid Waste Association (ISWA), Bonn/Geneva/Vienna. Electronic Version: 978-92-808-9054-9.Google Scholar
- Binafeigha, T. R., & Enwin, A. (2017). The state of solid waste management in Port Harcourt City, Nigeria. American Journal of Civil Engineering and Architecture, 5(4), 160–166. Science and Education Publishing. Available online at https://doi.org/10.12691/ajcea-5-4-4. http://pubs.sciepub.com/ajcea/5/4/4
- Constitution (Forty-second Amendment) Act, 1976, s. 2, for “Sovereign Democratic Republic” (w.e.f. 3-1-1977). https://www.india.gov.in/sites/upload_files/npi/files/coi_part_full.pdf.
- Construction and Demolition Waste Management. (2016). http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/426955/construction-and-demolition-waste-management-rules-2016/.
- CPCB Report. (2018). Annual Report 2017-18. Central pollution control board ministry of environment, forest & climate change. http://www.cpcb.nic.in.
- E-Waste Management Rules. (2016). http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/426933/e-waste-management-rules-2016/.
- IGEP (Indo-German Environment Programme). (2013). India’s future needs for resources: dimensions, challenges and possible solutions. New Delhi: GIZ. http://www.igep.in/live/hrdpmp/hrdpmaster/igep/content/e48745/e50194/e58089/ResourceEfficiency_Report_Final.pdf.
- Joshi, R., & Ahmed, S. (2016). Status and challenges of municipal solid waste management in India: A review. Cogent Environmental Science, 2, 1139434. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/23311843.2016.1139434
- Mitlin, D., & Satterthwaite, D. (1996). Sustainable development and cities. in: C. PUGH (Ed.) Sustainability: The environment and urbanization, 23±61. London: Earth scan Publications.Google Scholar
- National Resource Efficiency Policy. (2019) (Draft). Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change Government of India.Google Scholar
- NITI Aayog Report. (2017-18). https://niti.gov.in/sites/default/files/2019-04/Annual-Report-English.pdf.
- Plastics Waste Management Rules (2016), http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/426634/plastic-waste-management-rules-2016/
- Plexconcil. (2018). 64th Annual Report of Plastic Export Promotion Council, 2018-19. https://plexconcil.co.in/images/pdf/64TH_ANNUAL_REPORTS-Plexconcil.pdf
- (2006, April) Quality and Reliability Engineering International. 22(3),335–367.Google Scholar
- Solid Waste Management Rules. (2016). http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/427824/solid-waste-management-rules-2016/.