Horizontal response of base-isolated buildings supported to high damping rubber bearings
- 17 Downloads
Seismic isolation is one of the most efficient techniques to protect structures against earthquakes. Rubber bearings are suitable for low-rise and medium-rise buildings due to its durability and easy fabrication. This paper presents the horizontal response of a six-storey base-isolated building using high damping rubber bearings (HDRBs) under two ground motions of earthquakes as types I and II in JRA (2002) by finite element analysis. In this analysis, these bearings are modelled by the bilinear hysteretic model which is indicated in JRA and AASHTO. Comparison of horizontal response including base shear force and roof level acceleration between the two cases: base-isolated building and fixed-base building is carried out to evaluate the effectiveness of the use of HDRBs on the protection of buildings from earthquakes. The numerical results show that the peak value of roof floor acceleration of the fixed-base building is two times higher than that of the base-isolated building, and the floor accelerations depend on the peak values of ground acceleration. In addition, the step-by-step design procedure for determining the size of HDRBs used for buildings is also presented in this paper.
KeywordsHigh damping rubber bearings seismic responses earthquakes buildings
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Marioni, A.: The use of high damping rubber bearings for the protection of the structures from the seismic risk. Jornadas portugesas de engenharia de estruturas, Lisbon, Portugal (1998).Google Scholar
- 4.Gu, H., Itoh, Y.: Ageing effects on high damping bridge rubber bearing. Proceeding of the 6th asia-pacific structural engineering and construction conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (2006).Google Scholar
- 5.EC8.: Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings (EN 1998-1:2004). European Committee for Standardization (2004).Google Scholar
- 6.Nguyen Anh Dung (2017). “Effect of modeling on seismic response prediction of a pier with high damping rubber bearings under earthquakes”. The 10th national Conference on Mechanics, Hanoi, 8-9/12/2017, pp 191-197 (2017) (In Vietnamese).Google Scholar
- 7.American association of state highways and transportation officials-AASHTO.: 3rd Edition. Washington DC: Guide Specification for Seismic Isolation Design (2010).Google Scholar
- 8.Japan road association-JRA.: Specifications for highway bridges. Part V: seismic design. Tokyo: Maruzen (2002).Google Scholar