Two-Way Image Based CAPTCHA
CAPTCHA is a technology used to protect web applications from one of the malicious threats called BOT. CAPTCHA’s primary goal is to avail web services only to legitimate users and thereby foreseeing effective usage of web services. In this paper, a variant of image-based CAPTCHA is designed for visually challenged people. The main challenge is to identify human users from software robots. A novel two-way approach for image selection is designed to enhance the existing image-based CAPTCHAs. Randomly generated homography transformation function is used to find a match between the two images. Image-based CAPTCHAs have overwhelmed the text-based CAPTCHAs, and the proposed approach promises a better test for legitimate users to accomplish higher web security while retaining ease of use.
KeywordsWeb services CAPTCHA Image-based display Internet security Image matching
The authors would like to thank Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, for all the resources granted as per the requirements.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
The study involved only development, validation and feedback on the technical aspect of the software. Hence, clearance from only the Information and Communication department committee was obtained. Informed consent was obtained from all volunteers included in the study.
- 1.Vaithyasubramanian S (2016) Review on development of some strong visual CAPTCHAs and breaking of weak audio CAPTCHAs. In: 2016 International conference on information communication and embedded systems (ICICES), IEEE 2016, pp 1–4Google Scholar
- 7.Gossweiler R, Kamvar M, Baluja S (2009) What’s up CAPTCHA?: a CAPTCHA based on image orientation. In: Proceedings of the 18th international conference on World wide web, ACM 2009, pp 841–850Google Scholar
- 8.Ali FABH, Bt Karim F (2014) Development of CAPTCHA system based on puzzle. In: 2014 International conference on computer, communications, and control technology (I4CT), IEEE 2014, pp 426–428Google Scholar
- 9.Banday MT, Sheikh SA (2014) Service framework for dynamic multilingual CAPTCHA challenges: IN-CAPTCHA. In: 2014 International conference on advances in electronics computers and communications, IEEE 2014, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 12.Powell BM, Kumar A, Thapar J, Goswami G, Vatsa M, Singh R, Noore RA (2016) A multibiometrics-based CAPTCHA for improved Online security. In: 2016 IEEE 8th International conference on biometrics theory, applications and systems (BTAS), BTAS 2016Google Scholar
- 13.Kulkarni S, Fadewar HS (2017) Pedometric CAPTCHA for mobile Internet users. In: 2017 2nd IEEE International conference on recent trends in electronics, information & communication technology (RT (RTEICT), RTEICT 2017Google Scholar
- 14.Section 508 CAPTCHA: how to make CAPTCHA comply with access board section 508 standards [online]. Available https://captcha.com/accessibility/section508-captcha.html. Accessed: 22 Apr 2019