An Improved Fuzzy Clustering Segmentation Algorithm Based on Animal Behavior Global Optimization
The bio-inspired optimization algorithms play vital role in many research domains and this work analyzes animal behavior optimization algorithm. Medical image segmentation helps the physicians for disease diagnosis and treatment planning. This work incorporates ABO algorithm for cluster centroid selection in Fuzzy C-means clustering segmentation algorithm. The Animal Behavior Optimization (ABO) algorithm was developed based on the group behavior and was validated on 13 benchmark functions. The dominant nature of an animal species decides the fitness function value and each solution in problem space depicts the animal position. The ABO algorithm was coupled with the classical FCM for the analysis of region of interest in abdomen CT and brain MR datasets. The results were found to be efficient when compared with the FCM coupled with artificial bee colony (ABC), firefly, and cuckoo optimization algorithms. The promising results generated by ABC makes it an efficient one for real-world problems.
KeywordsSegmentation Animal behavior optimization Fuzzy C-means Artificial bee colony Firefly optimization Cuckoo optimization
The authors would like to acknowledge the support provided by DST under IDP scheme (No: IDP/MED/03/2015).
- 4.Singh, N., Singh, S.B.: A modified mean gray wolf optimization approach for benchmark and biomedical problems. Evol. Bioinform. 13 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1177/2F1176934317729413
- 5.Hussein, W.A., Sahran, S., Sheikh Abdullah, S.N.H.: An improved Bees algorithm for real parameter optimization. Int. J. Adv. Comput. Sci. Appl. 6, 23–39 (2015)Google Scholar
- 7.Ruiz-Vanoye, J.A., Díaz-Parra, O., Cocón, F., Soto, A., Buenabad Arias, M.D.L.Á., Verduzco-Reyes, G., Alberto-Lira, R.: Meta-heuristics algorithms based on the grouping of animals by social behaviour for the traveling salesman problem. Int. J. Comb. Optim. Probl. Inf. 3(3), 104–123 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Cui, Z., Xu, Y., Zeng, J.: Social emotional optimization algorithm with random emotional selection strategy. In: Theory and New Applications of Swarm Intelligence. InTech. vol. 3, pp. 33–50 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Qin, Z.T.: Optimization Algorithms for Structured Machine Learning and Image Processing Problems. Columbia University (Thesis) (2013). https://doi.org/10.7916/D8JH3TDM
- 12.Chu, X., Zhu, Y., Shi, J., Song, J.: Method of image segmentation based on fuzzy C-means clustering algorithm and artificial fish swarm algorithm. In: 2010 International Conference on Intelligent Computing and Integrated Systems (ICISS), pp. 254–257. IEEE (2010). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICISS.2010.5657199