An Effective MAC Protocol for Multi-radio Multi-channel Environment of Cognitive Radio Wireless Mesh Network (CRWMN)
CRWMN is an emerging method which makes efficient utilization of spectrum by allocating opportunistically, within the Industrial-Scientific-Medical (ISM) bands or licensed bands. Enthusiasm for the improvement of cognitive radio wireless mesh network is a result of utilizing under-usage of spectrum by the licensed users, by permitting unlicensed user to utilize. The main aim of CR in WMN is to encourage the unlicensed users for utilizing the licensed spectrum without affecting the licensed user’s communication. In this paper, a MAC protocol was developed for allocating spectrum opportunistically. Additionally, an in-depth experimental analysis was performed on the proposed MAC to validate the efficiency of the proposed protocol. As a result, we allocate spectrum opportunistically by focusing on reducing access delay, interference, and hidden terminal problems and also it enhanced the throughput.
KeywordsCognitive radio WMN MRMC
Acknowledgements One of the authors Anusha M is very much thankful to Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, New Delhi, for awarding her with a Women Scientist’s scheme under DST–WOS (A) File No. SR/WOS-A/ET- 1071/2015 Programme.
- 1.Chen, T., Zhang, H., Maggio, G.M. Chlamtac, I.: CogMesh: a cluster-based cognitive radio network. In: 2007 2nd IEEE International Symposium on New Frontiers in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks, pp. 168–178. Dublin (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Timalsina, S.K., Moh, S., Chung, I., Kang, M.: A concurrent access MAC protocol for cognitive radio ad hoc networks without common control channel, EURASIP J. Adv. Sign. Proc. 69 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Passiatore, C., Camarda, P.: A MAC protocol for cognitive radio wireless ad hoc networks. In: International Workshop on Multiple Access Communications MACOM 2011: Multiple Access Communications, pp 1–12 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Cordeiro, C., Challapali, K.: C-MAC: a cognitive MAC protocol for multi-channel wireless networks. In: 2007 2nd IEEE International Symposium on New Frontiers in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks, pp. 147–157. Dublin (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Su, H., Zhang, X.: CREAM-MAC: an efficient cognitive radio-enabled multi-channel MAC protocol for wireless networks. In: 2008 International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 1–8. Newport Beach, CA, (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Joe, I., Son, S.: Dynamic spectrum allocation MAC protocol based on cognitive radio for QoS support. In: 2008 Japan-China Joint Workshop on Frontier of Computer Science and Technology, pp. 24–29. Nagasahi (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Anusha, M., Vemuru, S.: An efficient MAC protocol for reducing channel interference and access delay in cognitive radio wireless mesh networks. Inter. J. Commun. Antenna Propag. (IRECAP) 6(1) (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.Marouthu, A., Vemuru, S.: Cluster-based opportunistic spectrum access in cognitive radio wireless mesh network’s using co-operative mechanism. Wirel. Pers. Commun. (Springer-SCIE) 99 (2), 779–797 (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.Zekavat, S.A., Li, X.: User-central wireless system: ultimate dynamic channel allocation. In: First IEEE International Symposium on New Frontiers in Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks, 2005. DySPAN 2005, pp. 82–87. Baltimore, MD, USA (2005)Google Scholar