Comparative Study of Building Energy Use Prediction Based on Three Artificial Neural Network Algorithms
- 235 Downloads
With the advent of the era of big data, artificial neural network (ANN) algorithms have been widely used in the field of building energy data analysis. In order to effectively use ANN algorithms to predict building energy consumption, the data-driven building energy consumption prediction with three typical ANNs: Backpropagation neural network (BPNN), generalized regression neural network (GRNN), and fuzzy neural network (FNN) were studied. The simulated data of an office building model setup by EnergyPlus is presented for a case study. The BPNN algorithm with different hidden layer numbers, GRNN algorithm with different scatter constants, and FNN algorithm with different evolution times were investigated, and the optimal parameters of each neural network algorithm for building energy consumption prediction were finally obtained. The results show that the MSEs of all ANN-based models are almost the same with very small values. But the operation time is very different, which of GRNN has the smallest value. So, the GRNN is highly recommended for building energy consumption prediction due to its both good prediction accuracy and short operation time. This study helps to guide the selections of ANNs and the determinations of related parameters of their algorithms in engineering application.
KeywordsBuilding energy consumption Data-driven model Artificial neural network
The study was supported by the National Key R&D Program of China (Grant No. 2017YFC0704200) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities.
- 1.Building Energy Center of Tsinghua University: China Building Energy Consumption Annual Research Report, China Architectural Industry Press, Beijing (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Becerik-Gerber, B., et al.: Civil engineering grand challenges: opportunities for data sensing, information analysis, and knowledge discovery. Comput. Civ. Eng. 28, 401–413 (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Penya, Y., et al.: Short-term load forecasting in non-residential Buildings. Africon 11, 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Wen, X., et al.: MATLAB Neural Network Simulation and Application. China Science Press, Beijing (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, X., et al.: Research of dynamic tuning of BP model with amending nerve cell output function in the forecast of pool purchse price. Relay 20, 22–28 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, Z., et al.: BP algorithm improvement based on sample expected training number. Comput. Technol. Dev. 19(5), 104–105 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Ye, B., Lei, Y.: Analysis of choosing the number of the hidden layers and its nodes number in back propagation network. J. Shangqiu Vocat. Tech. Coll. 3(15), 52–53 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Kong, G., et al.: Generalized regression neural network modeling method based on genetic algorithm. Comput. Eng. Design 38(2), 489 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Cheng, Y., et al.: Fuzzy Neural Network’s Application on Data Prediction. University of Science and Technology of China, Hefei (2012)Google Scholar