Technology offers small business owners an opportunity to enhance the productivity of their firm, widen its marketing reach and significantly improve the level of control they have over information and communications within the company. The use of technology, particularly information communications technologies (ICT) by small businesses has grown significantly in recent decades. This is due to the proliferation of high performance, but relatively low-cost ICT and their enabling software. One of the main areas in which this technology use has manifested itself is in the area of online and ‘in-the-cloud’ business software for marketing, accounting, HRM and operations. This chapter examines the use of technology in SMEs such as enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationships management (CRM), and knowledge management systems (KMS). It also examines the use of e-commerce, e-business and e-marketing within the small business.
- ACMA (2014). SMEs and digital communications technologies. www.acma.gov.au Canberra, Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA), Australian Government.
- Burton, N. (2004). Boosting your Customer Relationships with CRM. www.entrepreneur.com 16 February 2004.
- Couldwell, C. (1998). A data day battle. Computing, 21 May, 64–66Google Scholar
- Evangelista, P., Esposito, E., Lauro, V., & Raffa, M. (2010). The adoption of knowledge Management Systems in Small Firms. Electronic Journal of Knowledge Management, 8(1), 33–42.Google Scholar
- Fogarty, K. (2002). Slow and steady can win CRM race. Computerworld, 36(8), 32–43.Google Scholar
- Foley, P., & Ram, M. (2002). The use of online technology by ethnic minority businesses: A comparative study of the west midlands and UK. Milton Keynes, UK: De Montfort University.Google Scholar
- Gallo, A. (2014). The value of keeping the right customers. Harvard Business Review, www.hbr.org/2014, 29 October.
- Gartner Group. (1999). From value chain to value web. Internet-Based Electronic Commerce: Gartner Group Symposium, 3±11 October 1999, Orlando, Florida.Google Scholar
- Gonzalez, M. J., Martin, E., Buiza, G., Hidalgo, M., & Beltran, J. (2015). Implementation of an operations management system in eight Spanish SMEs. International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Systems Management (IESM), October 2015. Seville, Spain: 1296–1302.Google Scholar
- Hedlund, G. (1994). A model of knowledge management and the N-form corporation. Strategic Management Journal, 15(2), 73–90.Google Scholar
- IWS. (2018). Internet Usage Statistics: World internet users and 2018 population statistics, www.internetworldstats.com Internet World Stats (IWS).
- Jones, P., Simmons, G., Packham, G., Beynon-Davies, P., & Pickernell, D. (2014). An exploration of the attitudes and strategic responses of sole-proprietor micro-enterprises in adopting information and communication technology. International Small Business Journal, 32(3), 285–306.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kagermann, H., Wahlster, W., & Helbig, J. (2013). Recommendations for Implementing the Strategic Initiative INDUSTRIE 4.0. Berlin, Industrie 4.0 Working Group of Acatech.Google Scholar
- Kontzer, T. (2005). CRM’s Secret is in the Data. Information Week, 15 August, (1052), 57–59.Google Scholar
- Lizotte, O. (2017). Do you CRM me? An analytical guide to customer relationship management. North Charleston SC: CreateSpace Independent Publishing.Google Scholar
- Mazzarol, T., Reboud, S., & Clark, D. N. (2015). The use of information and communications technologies by SMEs. In T. M. B. Kotey, D. Clark, T. McKeown, & M. Battisti (Eds.), SMEs in the digital economy: Surviving the digital revolution (pp. 60–84). Melbourne, Australia: Tilde University Press.Google Scholar
- Nestell, J. G., & Olson, D. L. (2018). Successful ERP Systems: A guide for businesses and executives, New York, USA. Business Expert Press.Google Scholar
- Nonaka, I., & Takeuchi, I. (1995). The knowledge creating company: How Japanese companies create the dynamics of innovation. New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Nyame, G., Boateng, F. O., Gyamfi, N. K., & Asabere, N. Y. (2013). ICTs and supply chain: The competitiveness of small and medium scale enterprises. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 3(2), 203–209.Google Scholar
- OECD (2004). Promoting Entrepreneurship and Innovative SMEs in a Global Economy: Towards a more responsible and inclusive globalisation; ICT, E-Business and SMEs. 2nd OECD Conference of Ministers Responsible for Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs), Istanbul, Turkey 3–5 June 2004.Google Scholar
- OECD (2016). Increasing Productivity in Small Traditional Enterprises: Programmes for Upgrading Managerial Skills and Practices, www.oecd.org Paris Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- OECD (2017). Enhancing the Contributions of SMEs in a Global and Digitised Economy. www.oecd.org Paris, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- OECD (2018a). Strengthening SMEs and entrepreneurship for productivity and inclusive growth. www.oecd.org Paris, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- OECD (2018b). Promoting innovation in established SMEs. www.oecd.org Paris Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).
- Payne, A. (2005). Handbook of CRM: Achieving excellence in customer management. Oxford, Burlington MA: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Polanyi, M. (1962). Personal knowledge: Towards a post critical philosophy. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Schlichter, J., Klyver, K., & Haug, A. (2018). The moderating effect of ERP system complexity on the growth–profitability relationship in young SMEs. Journal of Small Business Management in press.Google Scholar
- Schwab, K. (2016). The fourth industrial revolution. London: Portfolio Penguin.Google Scholar
- Schwab, K. (2018). Shaping the Fourth Industrial Revolution Geneva www.weforum.org, World Economic Forum.
- Sensis. (2017). Sensis e-Business Report 2017: The online experience of small and medium enterprises. www.sensis.com.au Telstra Sensis.
- Spinnelli, L. (2006). CRM, making life easier for CPA firms, small businesses. Accounting Today, 20(11), 24–27.Google Scholar
- Tan, J. (2000). Knowledge management--just more buzzwords? Manager, Mar/Apr, 19, 10–11.Google Scholar
- Yellow. (2018). Yellow Digital Report: Small to Medium Businesses. www.yellow.com.au Telstra Sensis.