Multi-scale Local Binary Patterns- A Novel Feature Extraction Technique for Offline Signature Verification
This paper presents a powerful feature representation method called Multi-scale Local Binary Patterns for offline signature verification. The multi-scale representation oriented local binary patterns can be obtained by changing the radius R value of Local Binary Patterns(LBP) operator and combining the LBP features at different scales. In this proposed approach the LBP operator is applied at 3 different scales by varying the radius R value and at each scale equal number of pixels are considered for the processing. Finally, by cascading a group of LBP operators at 3 different scales over a signature image with fixed number of pixels at each scale and combining their results, a multi-scale representation LBP can be obtained. This essentially represents nonlocal information. Features fusion is performed by the linear combination of the histogram corresponding to 3 different radii results in a multi resolution (scale) feature vector. Support Vector Machine (SVM) is a well known classifier employed to classify the signature samples. Experimental results on standard datasets like CEDAR and a regional language datasets shows the proposed technique’s performance. A comparative analysis with few well known methods is also presented to demonstrate the performance of proposed technique.
KeywordsMulti-scale Local Binary Patterns Signature verification Support Vector Machine Local binary patterns
We acknowledge Bharathi R.K for providing a regional language kannada dataset namely MUKOS(Mangalore University Kannada Off-line Signature) dataset.
- 1.Chen, S., Srihari, S.: Use of exterior contours and shape features in off-line signature verification. In: Proceedings 2005 Eighth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, pp. 1280–1284. IEEE (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Hsu, C.W., Chang, C.C., Lin, C.J.: A Practical Guide to Support Vector Classification (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, M.M., Puhan, N.: Inter-point envelope based distance moments for offline signature verification. In: 2014 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communications (SPCOM), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Kumar, R., Kundu, L., Chanda, B., Sharma, J.D.: A writer-independent off-line signature verification system based on signature morphology. In: Proceedings of the First International Conference on Intelligent Interactive Technologies and Multimedia, IITM 2010, pp. 261–265. ACM, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Rassem, T.H., Khoo, B.E., Makbol, N.M., Alsewari, A.A.: Multi-scale colour completed local binary patterns for scene and event sport image categorisation. IAENG Int. J. Comput. Sci. 44(2), 197–211 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Shekar, B.H., Bharathi, R.K.: Eigen-signature: a robust and an efficient offline signature verification algorithm. In: 2011 International Conference on Recent Trends in Information Technology (ICRTIT), pp. 134–138, June 2011Google Scholar
- 14.Shekar, B.H., Bharathi, R.K., Pilar, B.: Local morphological pattern spectrum based approach for off-line signature verification. In: Maji, P., Ghosh, A., Murty, M.N., Ghosh, K., Pal, S.K. (eds.) PReMI 2013. LNCS, vol. 8251, pp. 335–342. Springer, Heidelberg (2013). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-45062-4_45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yilmaz, M.B., Yanikoglu, B., Tirkaz, C., Kholmatov, A.: Offline signature verification using classifier combination of HOG and LBP features. In: 2011 international joint conference on Biometrics (IJCB), pp. 1–7. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar