This chapter seeks to provide the reader with a better understanding of the various minority groups living in the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan. The chapter briefly explores the historical context of the emergence of minority groups in the region and discusses the current situation through an assessment of refugees, ethnic and religious minorities. The subject of minorities in Jordan is a complex and fascinating area and the objective is to provide a better understanding of the social structure of these minority groups in the region.
KeywordsMinority groups Refugees Ethnic minorities Religious minorities
- Alan, G. (2005). Jordan living in the cross fire. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Amro, R. (2008). Palestinian refugees in Jordan as a successful example of immigrants. In M. Finkelstein & K. Dent-Brown (Eds.), Psychosocial stress in immigrants and in members of minority groups as a factor of terrorist behavior. Amsterdam: IOS Press.Google Scholar
- Castallenio, J., & Cavanaugh, K. A. (2013). Minority rights in the Middle East. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- CIA (Central Intelligence Agency). (2007). CIA world fact book 2007. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/resources/the-world-factbook/geos/jo.html. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Harris, G. L. (1958). Jordan, its people, its society, its culture. New Haven: HRAF Press.Google Scholar
- HRW (Human Rights Watch). (2016). Education for Syrian refugee children: What donors and host countries should do? New York: HRW. https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/09/16/education-syrian-refugee-children-what-donors-and-host-countries-should-do. Accessed 22 June 2018.Google Scholar
- International Crisis Group. (2008, July 10). Failed responsibility: Iraqi refugees in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon. Brussels: ICG. https://d2071andvip0wj.cloudfront.net/77-failed-responsibility-iraqi-refugees-in-syria-jordan-and-lebanon.pdf. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- International Religious Freedom Report. (2005). US Department of State. https://www.state.gov/j/drl/rls/irf/2005/51602.htm. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Jordan Demographics Profile. (2018). https://www.indexmundi.com/jordan/demographics_profile.html. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Kailani, W. (2002). Chechens in the Middle East: Between original and host cultures. Caspian Studies Program, Harvard Kennedy School, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. https://www.belfercenter.org/publication/chechens-middle-east-between-original-and-host-cultures. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Mackey, B. D. (1979). The Circassians in Jordan. M.S. Thesis in National Security Affairs. Monterey: Naval Postgraduate School.Google Scholar
- Marshal, S. et al. (2016). Reconstructing Druze Population History. Scientific reports. https://www.nature.com/articles/srep35837. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Minority Rights Group International. (2008). World directory of minorities and indigenous peoples—Jordan: Palestinians. http://www.refworld.org/docid/49749cfcc.html. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Morris, B. (2001). Righteous victims: A history of the Zionist Arab conflict, 1881–2001. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Murad, N. (2018, March 24). A nation of minorities? The Jordan Times. http://www.jordantimes.com/opinion/nermeen-murad/nation-minorities. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Nanes, S. (2007). Jordan’s unwelcome guests. https://www.merip.org/mer/mer244/jordans-unwelcome-guests. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Robins, P. (2004). A history of Jordan. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Sheldon, Z. (2018, January 2). Nationality, class, and Iraqi migrants in Jordan. American Center of Oriental Research. https://www.acorjordan.org/2018/01/02/nationality-class-iraqi-migrants-jordan/. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- Shoup, J. A. (2007). Culture and customs of Jordon. London: Greenwood Press.Google Scholar
- The Joshua Project. (2018). Druze in Jordan. https://joshuaproject.net/people_groups/11620/JO. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- UNEDW. (2017, November 24). (UN Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women) (UNEDW) (2017) Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination considers the report of Jordan. https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=22450&LangID=E. Accessed 1 June 2018.
- UNHCR. (2007). Iraqi’s in Jordan, their numbers and characteristics. http://www.unhcr.org/47626a232.pdf. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- UNHCR. (2018). Operational portal, situation of refugees. https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/syria. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- USLS (US Library of Congress). (2018). Jordan: Religious minorities. Country studies. Washington, DC. http://countrystudies.us/jordan/. Accessed 22 June 2018.
- World Population Review: Jordan 2018. http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/jordan-population/. Accessed 22 June 2018.