Economic Modernization and the Rise of Restricted Legislative Representation in China: A Case Study of Shenzhen
- 12 Downloads
How do we explain the resilience of the rule of the Chinese Communist Party in the process of economic modernization? Based on a case study of Shenzhen, this chapter reveals that economic modernization increases the legislative representation of the People’s Congresses by influencing the ideas, demands and capacities of the local authorities, officials, deputies, and society. Moreover, it also illustrates that the legislative representation in China is a form of restricted representation. Its development, on the one hand, improves the government’s responsiveness, thus relieving much of the social conflict and increasing the satisfaction with the government; on the other hand, it does not challenge the rule of the Chinese Communist Party, which is beneficial to regime consolidation in China.
KeywordsEconomic modernization China’s people’s congress Restricted representation
- 163.com. (2010, June 9). The first person who campaigned with posters in Shenzhen (in Chinese, 〈深圳现 Open image in new window 海报竞选人大代表第一人 不愿徒有虚名〉 《网易网》 https://news.163.com/10/0609/11/68NUTKJB000146BD.html).
- Baguang power plant project has been stopped. (2013, August 8). Nanfang ribao (in Chinese, 〈坝光滨海电厂项目正式叫停〉 《南方日报》 https://epaper.southcn.com/nfdaily/html/2013-08/08/content_7214794.html).
- Barro, R. J. (1999). Determinants of democracy. Journal of Political Economy, 107(S6), S158–S183.Google Scholar
- Cai, D. J. (Ed.) (2002). The Reports on China’s Elections. Beijing: Falv chubanshe (in Chinese, 蔡定剑 编 (2002) 《中国选举状况的报告》 法律出版社:北京).Google Scholar
- Cho, Y. N. (2009). Local people’s congresses in China: Development and transition. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Fang, X. Y. (2008, April 18). Guangyuan Ou said the experience of Yueliangwan work station was worth being popularized throughout the province when he visited Nanshan district. https://www.sznew.com (in Chinese, 方兴业 (2008) 〈欧广源在南山考察时表示月亮湾联络工作站经验值得全省推广〉 《深圳新闻网》 https://sztqb.sznews.com/html/2008-04/18/content_138523.htm).
- Gdrd.cn. (2013, December 30). Shenzhen Municipal People’s Congress’s exploration of promoting the work of local People’s Congress (in Chinese, 〈深圳市人大常委会推进地方人大工作的探索〉《广东人大网》 https://www.gdrd.cn/pub/gdrd2012/rdzt/rdxfz/xts/201312/t20131230_138659.html).
- General Office of Shenzhen MPC Standing Committee. (2008, June 27). Instruction about the experiment of deputy work stations (in Chinese, 深圳市人大常委会办公厅 (2008) 〈关于试行人大代表社区联络站的指导意见〉).Google Scholar
- General Office of Shenzhen MPC Standing Committee. (2013, December 16). The regulation of performance appraisal for addressing deputy proposals (in Chinese, 深圳市人大常委会办公厅 (2013) 〈深圳市人民代表大会代表建议、批评和意见办理绩效考核办法〉).Google Scholar
- Guancha.cn. (2013, July 3). 43 Shenzhen deputies opposed the construction of a power plant (in Chinese, 〈深圳43名人大代表联名反对建煤电厂 称不愿让PX事件重演〉 《观察者网》 from https://www.guancha.cn/Huanbaozhanlue/2013_07_03_155424.shtml.)
- He, J., & Liu, L. (2013). Research on the individual attribute and work performance of deputies of the National People’s Congress. Fudan xuebao(Shehui kexue ban), 2, 113–121 (in Chinese, 何俊志, 刘乐明 (2013) 〈全国人大代表的个体属性与履职状况关系研究〉 《复旦学报 (社会科学版)》 2, 113–121).Google Scholar
- He, J., & Wang, W. (2011). The membership structure of the deputies and their duty performances: A fuzzy-set analysis on township people’s congresses in 13 districts of Beijing. Nanjing shehui kexue, 1, 70–78 (in Chinese, 何俊志, 王维国 (2011) 〈代表结构与履职绩效:对北京市13个区县的乡镇人大之模糊集分析〉 《南京社会科学》 1, 70–78).Google Scholar
- Huntington, S. P. (1991). The third wave: Democratization in the late twentieth century. Norman: University of Oklahoma press.Google Scholar
- Lai, H. H. (2001). Legislative activism and effectiveness of provincial delegates at the 1988 NPC. Issues & Studies, 37(1), 73–101.Google Scholar
- Li, X. (2015).‘Distributive politics’ among people’s representatives in China: An analysis of the proposals and queries in the provincial people’s congress of G province, 2009–2011. Kaifang Shidai, 4, 140–156 (in Chinese, 李翔宇 (2015) 〈中国人大代表行动中的“分配政治”——对 2009–2011年G省省级人大大会建议和询问的分析〉 《开放时代》 4, 140–156).Google Scholar
- Liang Y. X. (2014, July 31). Luohu district: Star deputies won applause with their hard work. https://www.sznews.com (in Chinese, 梁尹星. (2014) 〈罗湖区:明星代表用奔走赢掌声〉 《深圳新闻网》 https://wb.sznews.com/html/2014-07/31/content_2958108.htm).
- Shenzhen CCP Committee. (2015). Report in sixth congress of Shenzhen party representatives (in Chinese, 中共深圳市委 (2015) 〈解放思想 真抓实干 勇当“四个全面”排头兵 努力建成现代化国际化创新型城市——在中国共产党深圳市第六次代表大会上的报告〉 https://jb.sznews.com/html/2015-06/16/content_3254373.htm).
- Sun, Y. (2011). What drives reforms in local people’s congresses? The dynamics of local congressional developments in PRC: 1979–2011. PhD diss., Hong Kong University.Google Scholar
- Szlh.gov.cn. (2014). Deputies visited the community and made decisions (in Chinese, 〈代表进社区议事决事〉 《深圳新闻网》 https://www.szlh.gov.cn/lhqrd/a/2014/e13/a262784_983750.shtml).
- Truex, R. (2016). Making autocracy work: Representation and responsiveness in modern China. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Xu, H. (2011, January 25). The ranking list of Shenzhen deputies’ performance was released. https://www.southcn.com (in Chinese, 许慧 (2011) 〈深圳两会代表履职榜出 Open image in new window 企业代表落“瓶底”〉《南方网》 https://news.southcn.com/d/2011-01/25/content_19569284.htm).
- Yang, Q. (2014). The duty of a deputy is to push the government. Luohu rendadaibiao huodong jikan, 3, 7–9 (in Chinese, 杨勤 (2014) 〈代表作用就是要让“一府两院”如履薄冰〉 《罗湖人大代表活动季刊》 3, 7–9).Google Scholar
- Zhang, W. (2014, January 21). Xueding Zheng, a person who is open and manages to express himself https://www.ifeng.com (in Chinese, 张玮 (2014) 〈“敢言善言者”郑学定〉 《凤凰网》 https://news.ifeng.com/gundong/detail_2014_01/21/33197902_0.shtml.).
- Zhou, J. (2014). Liantang group organized deputy activity to solve the problem of No.8 subway line. Luohuqu rendadaibiao huodong jikan, 3, 22 (in Chinese, 周建清 (2014)〈莲塘联组围绕缓解地铁8号线矛盾, 组织开展代表进社区活动〉 《罗湖区人大代表活动季刊》 3, 22).Google Scholar
- Zou, S., & Chen, W. (2007). Constructing harmonious society: A case study of Yueliangwan deputy workstation in Shenzhen. Chongqing: Chongqing chubanshe (in Chinese, 邹树彬, 陈文 编 (2007) 《构建和谐社区:深圳市月亮湾片区“人大代表工作站”个案研究》重庆出版社:重庆).Google Scholar