Case 05—The Dismemberment of a Compensated-Dating Girl in Sham Shui Po: The Case of Ting Kai-Tai (2008; Hong Kong)
A 16-year-old girl, Wong Ka-Mui (王嘉梅), was reported missing by her family on Tuesday, April 29th, 2008. On Tuesday, May 6th, 2008, a police search of Wong’s telephone records led to a 24-year-old transport worker, Ting Kai-Tai (丁啟泰; aged 23 years at the time of offense), as the last person who had been in contact with Wong. This in turn led to a full investigation into Ting, who was revealed to have murdered Wong nine days earlier, on Sunday, April 27th, 2008, in his flat in Shek Kip Mei (石硤尾), after having sex with her. Ting chopped Wong into small pieces, sliced her flesh away from the bones, and flushed the pieces down the toilet along with her intestines. Wong’s bones were packed up and disposed of at the nearby Shek Kip Mei wet market, and her head was thrown into the sea at the Kowloon City Ferry Pier (九龍城碼頭). Ting was arrested on Tuesday, May 6th, 2008 and later convicted of first-degree murder and unlawful burial of a human body. He was sentenced to life imprisonment for the former and to a four-year sentence for the latter. Both terms were ordered to run concurrently. This case is regarded as one of the few gruesome homicide cases in Hong Kong in recent years.
References on the Case
- Apple Daily 蘋果日報. 2008. 肢解案提堂: 被告一臉稚氣, 主控官指少女做愛時被殺. Apple Daily, May 10, 2008. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20080510/11090313.
- Apple Daily 蘋果日報. 2009. 肢解案被告致電好友講碎屍過程:「將女仔塊面撕落嚟」. Apple Daily, July 23, 2009. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20090723/13019040.
- Apple Daily 蘋果日報. 2009. 肢解案兇手囚終身: 兇手變態碎屍同日再嫖援交女. Apple Daily, July 28, 2009. http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/news/art/20090728/13035354.
- Apple Daily 蘋果日報. 2009. 壹週刊第1012期: 獨家專訪, 援交少女碎屍案, 手獄中自 白. Apple Daily, December 23, 2009. http://nextmag.muvc.net/next1012/1.htm.
- China Daily. 2009. Man Gets Life for Girl’s Grisly Murder. China Daily, July 28, 2009. http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/hkedition/2009-07/28/content_8479281.htm.
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region v Ting Kai-tai. 2009. HCCC252/2008.Google Scholar
- Hong Kong Special Administrative Region v Ting Kai Tai. 2012. CACC251/2009.Google Scholar
- Oriental Daily 東方日報. 2009. 獨家追查屠夫成魔之路. Oriental Daily, July 28, 2009. http://orientaldaily.on.cc/cnt/news/20090728/00174_001.html.
- Sing Tao Daily 星岛日報. 2008. 香港警方重案組挖「少女屍」 檢30塊化驗 疑人肉碎骨 塞滿糞渠. Sing Tao Daily, May 10, 2008. http://news.singtao.ca/toronto/2008-05-10/1210435963d1016576.html.
- Cloninger, C.R. 1999. Genetics of Substance Abuse. In Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2nd ed, ed. M. Galanter and H.D. Kleber, 59–66. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Fagan, J. 1993. “Set and Setting Revisited: Influences of Alcohol and Illicit Drugs.” In Alcohol and Interpersonal Violence: Fostering Multidisciplinary Perspectives, edited by S.E. Martin, 161–192. Rockville, MD: US Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, National Institute of Health, National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.Google Scholar
- Ferner, R.E. 1996. Forensic Pharmacology: Medicines, Mayhem, and Malpractice. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fischman, M.W., and M. Haney. 1999. Neurobiology of Stimulants. In Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2nd ed, ed. M. Galanter and H.D. Kleber, 21–31. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Goldstein, P. 1995. The Drugs/Violence Nexus: A Tripartite Conceptual Framework. In The American Drug, ed. J.A. Inciardi and K. McElrath, 255–264. Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury.Google Scholar
- Kosten, T.R., and A.K. Singha. 1999. Stimulants. In Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 2nd ed, ed. M. Galanter and H.D. Kleber, 183–193. Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.Google Scholar
- Malamuth, N.M., C.L. Heavey, and D. Linz. 1993. Predicting Men’s Antisocial Behavior against Women: The Interaction Model of Sexual Aggression. In Sexual Aggression: Issues in Etiology, Assessment, and Treatment, ed. N. Hall, R. Hirschman, J.R. Graham, and M.S. Zaragoza, 63–97. London, UK: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Martinez Jr., R. 2002. Latino Homicide. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Proulx, J., C. Perreault, M. Ouimet, and J. P. Guay. 1999b. Les agresseurs sexuels d’enfants: scénarios délictuels et troubles de la personnalité. In Les violences criminelles, edited by J. Proulx, M. Cusson, and M. Ouimet, 187−216. Les Presses de l’Université Laval.Google Scholar
- Reiss, A.J., and J.A. Roth. 1993. Alcohol, Other Psychoactive Drugs and Violence. In Understanding and Preventing Violence, ed. A.J. Reiss and J.A. Roth, 182–220. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Schmitt, J.A., C.T. Lamers, J.G. Ramaekers, and W.J. Riedel. 2003. Performance and Behavioral Effects of Illicit Drugs. In Medical-legal Aspects of Drugs, ed. M. Burns, 133–167. Tucson, AZ: Lawyers and Judges Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Ward, T., D.L.L. Polaschek, and A.R. Beech. 2006. Theories of Sexual Offending. Chichester, UK: Wiley.Google Scholar