A Preliminary Study on the Attractive Factors of Car Headlight Form Design
In the era of perceptual consumption, car styling design is an important factor that affects the customer’s purchase decision, which leads to competition among different car enterprises. Car headlight that is the most important component in the car body needs to be investigated. In this study, Kansei engineering and its related mathematical method that are widely used to translate customer’s feelings or perceptions to design features or elements are applied to the car headlight form design research. Firstly, perceptual words of car headlights and representative headlight samples are selected. Secondly, perceptual image space is built based on the semantic differential method. Then, the prominent perceptual words are obtained based on the principle component analysis and all samples on prominent perceptual words are ranked. The result shows that the sample shape design with a metaphor of “angry face” has higher perceptual scores that will leave a deep impression on customers and have more attractiveness. The proposed design strategies can be taken as a design reference to car designers or car companies.
KeywordsCar headlight Kansei engineering Principle component analysis Form design
This research was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 51675476 and No. 51175458).
- 4.Green A, Chattaraman V (2018) Creating an affective design typology for basketball shoes using Kansei engineering methods. In: International conference on applied human factors and ergonomics. Springer, Cham, pp 355–361Google Scholar
- 5.Ushada M, Okayama T, Suyantohadi A et al (2017) Kansei engineering-based artificial neural network model to evaluate worker performance in small-medium scale food production system. Int J Ind Syst Eng 27(1):28–47Google Scholar
- 6.Wang MF, Hsiao SW (2018) A Kansei-oriented method for interior design. In: 2018 IEEE 22nd international conference on computer supported cooperative work in design (CSCWD). IEEE, pp 485–490Google Scholar
- 8.Levy P (2013) Beyond Kansei engineering: the emancipation of Kansei design. Int J Design 7(2)Google Scholar
- 9.Su C, Fu LM, Li S et al (2016) Design method in exterior color based Kansei engineering and principal component analysis. J Jil Univ Sci Technol 46(05):1414–1419 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Ding M (2011) Study on product color design model and method based on image. School of Mechanical Engineering, Dalian University of Technology, DalianGoogle Scholar
- 12.Qiu HZ (2013) Quantitative research and statistical analysis—SPSS (PASW) data analysis example analysis. Chongqing University Press, ChongqingGoogle Scholar