Environmental Migration and Development Deficit: A Debate
Environmental migration suffers not only methodological abstruseness and data limitations but also definitional ambiguity. It is a very policy concern that attribution of environmental migrants to a group without assessing the individual effect size of the stressors of migration and nexus among them plays down the seriousness of real issues vis-à-vis evoking the politics – national and international. Nowadays, it is a very conscious political trick to relate the natural calamities with climate change and hush up the development deficits. Climate change is a matter of concern or hype to hide the shortfall of adequate adaptive measures as well as achieving the unethical political intentions; it is needed to be justified very consciously.
KeywordsClimatic change and variation Development deficit Vulnerability Adaptive measures
- Bindoff, N., Willebrand, J., Artale, V., Cazenave, A., Gregory, J., Gulev, S., Hanawa, K., LeQuéré, & Co-authors. (2007). Observations: Oceanic climate change and sea level. In S. Solomon, D. Qin, M. Manning, Z. Chen, M. Marquis, K. B. Averyt, M. Tignor, & H. L. Miller (Eds.), Climate change 2007: The physical science basis (pp. 385–432). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- CIRES. (2001). 26 January 2001 Bhuj Earthquake, Gujarat, India. http://cires.colordo.edu/~bilham/Gujarat2001.html. Accessed 26 July 2011.
- GCP. (2003). Central American Earthquake. http://noosphere.princeton.edu/quake010113.html. Accessed 26 July 2011.
- IOM. (2009). Migration, environment and climate change: Assessing the evidence. In F. Laczko, C. Aghazarm (Eds). Geneva: IOM.Google Scholar
- IPCC. (2007). Climate change 2007: Climate change impacts, adaptation and vulnerability. Delhi: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Mistri, A. (2012). জলবায়ু পরির্বতন, আভিযোজন এবং উন্নয়ন (Climatic change, adaptation capacity and development). Antorjatik Pathsala, 2(3), 257–264.Google Scholar
- NOAA. (2012). Tornados nature’s most violent storms. http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/edu/safety/tornadoguide.html. Accessed 15 Jan 2012.