Ledger-Based Sorting Algorithm
Research on sorting algorithms is a very core research field in computer science. Today, any advancement in sorting algorithms would lead to less time and space required to perform the sorting task. This paper discusses a newly proposed algorithm—‘ledger-based sorting algorithm’. It is basically an advancement to ‘counting sort’, but not exactly counting sort. The purpose of this paper is to reduce the time and space required for sorting when the numbers given to you belong to a particular range (0–n) and all of them are distinct. This paper also compares the newly proposed algorithm with insertion sort, bubble sort, selection sort, quick sort, merge sort and mainly counting sort through graphical time analysis of these algorithms. The paper especially compares counting sort algorithm with the proposed algorithm in terms of both time and space complexity.
KeywordsInsertion sort Bubble sort Selection sort Quick sort Merge sort Counting sort Graphical time analysis
- 1.Yang, Y., Yu, P., Gan, Y.: Experimental Study on the Five Sort Algorithms. IEEE, New York (2011). ISBN: 978-1-4244-9439-2Google Scholar
- 2.Setiawan, R.: Comparing Sorting Algorithm Complexity Based on Control Flow Structure. IEEE, New York (2016). ISBN: 978-1-5090-3352-2Google Scholar
- 3.Kalid.: Sorting Algorithms, Better Explained. https://betterexplained.com/articles/sorting-algorithms/, Accessed 19 Aug 2018
- 4.Cormen, T H., Leiserson, C.E., Rivest, R.L., Stein, C.: Introduction to Algorithms, 3rd edn. MIT Press, Cambridge (2009). ISBN: 9780262259460Google Scholar
- 5.Edjlal, R., Edjlal, A., Moradi, T.: A Sort Implementation Comparing with Bubble Sort and Selection Sort. IEEE, New York (2011). ISBN:978-1-61284-840Google Scholar