China’s Comprehensive AIDS Response (China CARES)
To explore effective HIV/AIDS prevention methods and expand coverage of HIV/AIDS prevention and control initiatives, the Chinese Central Government launched the China CARES program in 2003. China CARES was tasked with implementing national HIV/AIDS policy at the local community level but was given the freedom to work within a very flexible framework so that interventions and services could be tailored to meet the unique needs of the communities the China CARES sites served. Due to its success in bringing relevant prevention, testing, treatment, care, and support services to local communities, China CARES underwent three rounds of expansion, from 2003 to 2008, from 2009 to 2013, and then again from 2014 to 2018. Its impact has at the same time been measurable and immeasurable. Its success has been foundational to China’s HIV/AIDS response, and it has become a model for China and the world.
The authors would like to thank Jonas Tillman and Jennifer M. McGoogan for their input and editorial assistance.
- China Ministry of Health and UN Theme Group on HIV/AIDS in China. A joint assessment of HIV/AIDS prevention, treatment and care in China. Beijing, China Ministry of Health, NCAIDS, UNAIDS China Office; 2003.Google Scholar
- Han M, Chen Q, Hao Y, Hu Y, Wang D, Gao Y, et al. Design and implementation of a China comprehensive AIDS response program (China CARES), 2003-08. Int J Epidemiol. 2010;39(Suppl 2):S47–55.Google Scholar
- Ma Y, Li Z, Zhang K, Yang W, Ren X, Yang Y, et al. HIV infection was first found among drug users in China. Chinese J Epidemiol. 1990;1l:184–5.Google Scholar
- Office of the State Council. China’s action plan for containment and prevention of HIV/AIDS (2001–2005). State Council Office document -40. Beijing: Office of the State Council; 2001.Google Scholar
- State Council. China mid and long-term plan for HIV/AIDS prevention and control (1998–2010). State Council, document no. -38. Beijing: Office of the State Council; 1998.Google Scholar
- State Council. Notice of the State Council on conscientiously strengthening HIV/AIDS response. Beijing: The State Council of the People’s Republic of China; 2004.Google Scholar
- Zeng Y, Fan J, Zhang Q, Wang PC, Tang DJ, Zhon SC, Zheng XW, Lin DP. Detection of antibody to LAV/HTLV-III in sera from hemophiliacs in China. AIDS Res. 1986;2(Suppl 1):S147–9.Google Scholar
- Zhang F, Haberer JE, Wang Y, Zhao Y, Ma Y, Zhao D, et al. The Chinese free antiretroviral treatment program: challenges and responses. AIDS. 2007;21(Suppl 8):S143–8. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.aids.0000304710.10036.2b.CrossRefGoogle Scholar