The BRI was intended to create a benevolent narrative of China internally and externally. Yet the Indian objections and resistance created a counter narrative to it in the South Asian region and beyond. India’s resistance to BRI attracted U.S to renew its balancing effort of China with India as its core. The Chinese reactions to the Indo-Pacific strategy shows that it only strengthened existing Chinese perceptions of India’s role as competitor and hurdle in the Indo-Pacific region. It also reinforced Chinese usual criticism of India seeking great power status and equal status to China in the region. Chinese also accuse India of aggressive intentions. From the Chinese criticisms it is evident that Indian resistance to BRI led to the securitization of the BRI and it triggered Indo-Pacific strategy. Chinese unchanging criticism of and using frameworks such as “great power intentions” to analyze Indian state behaviour will ultimately lead to conflicts in the Indo-Pacific region.
KeywordsIndo-Pacific BRI India China United States Threat perceptions Conflicts
- 3rd Ld-Writethru-China Focus: Martyrs’ Day marked across China. 2015. Xinhua General News Service. September 30.Google Scholar
- Albert, Eleanor. 2018. Christianity in China, Backgrounder. Council on Foreign Relations. October 11. https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/christianity-china. Accessed November 3, 2018.
- PTI. 2012. India pays homage to martyrs of 1962 Sino-India war for first time. India Today. October 20. https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/india-china-war-defence-minister-a.k-antony-indian-air-force-119190-2012-10-20. Accessed November 8, 2018.
- Qingqing, Cao. 2017. China embraces growing coffee culture. CGTN. December 6. https://news.cgtn.com/news/33677a4d30637a6333566d54/share_p.html. Accessed January 2, 2018.
- White papers of government of China – Freedom of Religious Belief in China. 1997. Information Office of the State Council of the People’s Republic of China. October. http://www.china.org.cn/e-white/Freedom/index.htm. Accessed September 28, 2018.
- Zheng, Sarah. 2018. Christianity’s ‘explosive growth’ in China – And the official pushback. Inkstone. March 30.Google Scholar