The BRI and the Good, Not So Good and Bad Business with India
Under the BRI frame work Chinese scholars explore the Indian initiatives. Chinese scholars conclude that the Indian initiatives like Mausam, Sagarmala and cotton route, are proposed to counter China’s BRI. Yet some of the Chinese scholars identify it as an attempt to build a counter narrative, than any specific plan. After the initial criticism of India’s “wild ambition” to counter BRI Chinese scholars explored the “linking” possibilities of Chinese initiatives with Indian initiatives. However, linking was another way of asking India to join the BRI. Chinese also believe that India is afraid of collaborating with more competitive people like Chinese. Chinese scholars under the frame work of BRI discuss the promises and perils of doing business in India. They try to depict India as an “economic bully” referring to anti-dumping duties and restrictions on Chinese companies like Huawei.
KeywordsBRI Linking Mausam Sagarmala Business Economic “bullying” China
- Ai li xin Hua wei hou xuan Yindu 60 yi mei yuan [Ericsson and Huawei is selected for a $6 billion deal in India]. 2009. Tongxin qiye guanli [C-Enterprise Management] No. 6 (June): 85.Google Scholar
- Chinese president meets Indian PM. 2015. Xinhuanet.com. May 14. http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2015-05/14/c_134239652.htm. Accessed December 4, 2018.
- Chunying, Zhou. 2011. lun Zhong guo dui wai tou zi shou xian – yi Yindu wei li [On restrictions faced by China in outward FDI – Example of India]. Xiandai shangmao gongye [Modern Business Trade Industry] No. 14 (July): 86–87.Google Scholar
- Fei, Chen. 2015. “Yi dai Yi Lu” yu Yindu jifeng jihua de zhanlue duijie yanjiu [A study on the strategic linking of BRI with India’s Mausam strategy]. Guoji zhanwang [Global Review] No. 6 (November–December): 15–32.Google Scholar
- Gancheng, Zhao. 2015. “yi dai yi lu” zhanlue de nanya fangxiang yu Yindu de xuanze [BRI’s South Asian direction and India’s choice]. Dangdai shijie [Contemporary World], No. 6 (June): 19–22.Google Scholar
- Guan, Wang. 2017. Zhong qi dui wai touzi ji shen quan qiu di liu wei zhuanjia: shixian zhiliang fazhan shi weilai touzi guanjian [China’s Outward Foreign Investment Ranked sixth in the world – Expert: Achieving high quality development is the key to future investment]. Yidaiyilu.gov.cn. December 4. https://www.yidaiyilu.gov.cn/xwzx/gnxw/38318.htm. Accessed January 3, 2018.
- Hong, Yang. 2016. “Yi dai Yi lu” he Yindu “ji feng ji hua” ying you xiao dui jie [One Belt and One Road and the India’s Mausam plan should be effectively connected]. Zhongguo Jingji daobao [China Economic Herald] August 6, 2016, B03.Google Scholar
- Huawei’s 2017 Annual Report: Solid Performance and Lasting Value for Customers. 2018. Huawei.com. March 30. https://www.huawei.com/en/press-events/news/2018/3/Huawei-2017-Annual-Report. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Khan, Danish. 2018. Huawei’s India revenue may dip, not to make in India. Economic Times. June 15. https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/tech/hardware/huawei-expects-india-revenues-to-double/articleshow/61937111.cms. Accessed April 3, 2018.
- Min, Zhang. 2016. “yi dai yi lu” zhan lue xia Zhong guo yu Yindu maoyi geju zhi bian hua yu mao yi mo ca zhi yingdui [Changing trade pattern and trade frictions between China and India under “One Belt And One Road” strategy]. Lilun jianshe [Theory Research] No. 2 (March–April): 32–37.Google Scholar
- Shiqiang, Liu. 2015. “yi dai yi lu” tou zi zheng zhi feng xian yan jiu zhi Yindu [One Belt And One Road Investment: A Political Risk analysis of India]. China.com.cn. June 24. http://opinion.china.com.cn/opinion_31_132231.html. Accessed August 23, 2017.
- Shisheng, Hu. 2018. Zhong Yin jiexialai daodi gai ruhe xiangchu [How Will China and India get along]. Huan qiu shi bao [Global Times], January 18. http://opinion.huanqiu.com/hqpl/2018-01/11532441.html. Accessed January 26, 2018.
- Shufang, Guo. 2015. “yid ai yi lu” quyuxing touzi falu yanjiu – cong Yindu shuo qi” [Analysis of One Belt And One Road regional investment laws – Beginning from India]. Juece luntan – jiyu gong gong guanli xueshi jiao de juece yantao hui lunwen ji [Decision making Forum: proceedings of Workshop on decision making based on the perspective of public management] (October 29): 216, 219.Google Scholar
- Xian, Zhuo. 2017. Gai ge jing sai: lai zi Yindu de qishi [Reform Race: Lessons from India]. Cai Xin [CaiXin]. September 21. http://opinion.caixin.com/2017-09-21/101148180.html. Accessed October 3, 2017.
- Xiao, Li. 2015. “yid ai yi lu” zhanlue shishi zhong de “Yindu kunju”’ – Zhongguo qiye touzi Yindu de kunjing yu duice [“Indian dilemma” in the implementation of “One Belt And One Road” strategy – The plight and countermeasures of Chinese enterprises investing in India]. Guoji jingji pinglun [International Economic Review] No. 5 (September–October): 19–42.Google Scholar
- Yan, Lan. 2006. Hua Wei yan jiu Yindu cheng gong jing yan [Huawei study successful experiences in India]. Foreign Ministry of People’s Republic of China. June 25. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cein/chn/ssygd/IT/t259829.htm. Accessed February 3, 2018.
- Yindu canyu “yi dai yi lu” hezuo qianjing leguan [Optimistic about India’s participation in One Belt And One Road]. In “yi dai yi lu” lan pi shu: “yi dai yi lu” jianshe fazhan baogao (2016) [One Belt And One Road blue book: One Belt One Road construction and development report (2016)]. 2016. People.com.cn. July 15. http://world.people.com.cn/n1/2016/0715/c190970-28558208.html. Accessed December 12, 2017.
- Yongqing, Ji. 2010. Hua wei, Zhong xing zao yu Yindu wei ji [Huawei and ZTE suffers from India crisis]. IT jingli shijie [CEOCIO China] No. 10 (May): 20–21.Google Scholar
- Zhiyong, Hu. 2017. Zhong Yin guanxi jiexia lai zenme zou [What’s next for India-China relations]. Haiwainet.cn. September 26. http://opinion.haiwainet.cn/n/2017/0926/c353596-31133834.html. Accessed October 6, 2017.
- Zhong Yin tong zou “yid ai yi lu” “jiao xiang yue [China and India can together play BRI symphony]. 2015. Ambassador Le Yucheng’s speech at the One Belt And One Road seminar at Jawaharlal Nehru university (Delhi), Foreign Ministry of the People’s Republic of China. April 7. http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/ce/cein/chn/sgxw/t1252684.htm. Accessed December 5, 2017.
- zhu jia er ge da zongling guanju ban Zhong Yin qiye dui jiehui [The consulate-general in Kolkata holds a dialogue between Chinese and Indian enterprises]. 2018. Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China. January 18. https://www.fmprc.gov.cn/web/zwbd_673032/gzhd_673042/t1526602.shtml. Accessed February 2, 2018.
- Zhu, Cuiping. 2016. Geopolitical Considerations and the Modi Administration’s Development Strategy. In Rong Wang and Cuiping Zhu (eds.). Annual Report on the Development of the Indian Ocean Region (2016) Modi’s India. Singapore: Springer.Google Scholar