Torque and Current Noise Reduction of BLDC Motor Using Fuzzy Logic Control Strategy
The torque of the permanent magnet brushless direct current (PMBLDC) motor is one of the major parameters of concern as it indirectly controls the stator current magnitude. Speed control of BLDCM can be done using different controllers. Among them, PID controller is the most commonly used controller for this machine. But in the case of load change, the torque and the stator current characteristics deteriorate significantly. It has already been studied that fuzzy controllers have better speed control over conventional PID controllers in all aspects (Usman and Rajpurohit in speed control of a BLDC motor using fuzzy logic controller. International Conference on Power Electronics, Intelligent Control and Energy Systems (ICPEICES), Delhi, India, 2016, ; Kamal et al. in speed control of brushless DC motor using intelligent controllers. 2014 Students Conference on Engineering and Systems, Allahabad, India, 2014, ), but in this paper, it has been shown that a suitably designed fuzzy controller is also able to reduce noise from torque and current characteristics of BLDCM significantly than any conventional PID controller. Here, source voltage control method is used to control the speed of the BLDCM. Complete analysis of both torque and stator current waveforms has been done, and then, overall results were compared and analysed with those of conventional PID controller. In comparison with conventional controller, the fuzzy controller provides better reduction of noise from torque and stator current characteristics along with better speed control in sudden load change conditions. The above investigation has been done completely in MATLAB/Simulink environment (Tibor et al. in modelling and simulation of the BLDC motor in MATLAB GUI. 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Gdansk, Poland, 2011, ).
KeywordsBLDCM PID controller Fuzzy controller FLC Torque Current Kp Ki
The author would like to sincerely thank the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering of Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi, for every cooperation and support.
- 1.A. Usman, B.S. Rajpurohit, Speed control of a BLDC motor using fuzzy logic controller, in 2016 IEEE 1st International Conference on Power Electronics, Intelligent Control and Energy Systems (ICPEICES), Delhi, India (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.M.M. Kamal, L. Mathew, S. Chatterji, Speed control of brushless DC motor using intelligent controllers, in 2014 Students Conference on Engineering and Systems, Allahabad, India (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.B. Tibor, V. Fedák, F. Durovský, Modeling and simulation of the BLDC motor in MATLAB GUI, in 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Gdansk, Poland (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.G. Prasad, N. SreeRamya, P.V.N. Prasad, G. Tulasi Ram Das, Modelling and simulation analysis of the brushless DC motor by using MATLAB. Proceedings IJITEE 1(5), 2278–3075 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.T.C. Siong, B. Ismail, S.F., Siraj, M.F.N.T. aAjuddin, N.S. Jamoshid, M.F. Mohammed, Analysis of Fuzzy Logic controller for permanent magnet brushless DC motor drives, in 2010 IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD), Putrajaya, Malaysia (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.V.M. Varatharaju, B.L .Mathur, K. Udhyakumar, Speed control of PMBLDC motor using MATLAB/Simulink and effects of load and inertia changes, in 2010 International Conference on Mechanical and Electrical Technology, Singapore, Singapore (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.J. Sriram, K. Sureshkumar, Speed control of BLDC motor using fuzzy logic controller based on sensorless technique, in 2014 International Conference on Green Computing Communication and Electrical Engineering (ICGCCEE), Coimbatore, India (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.R. Shanmugasundram, K. Muhammed Zakariah, N. Yadaiah, Digital implementation of fuzzy logic controller for wide range speed control of brushless dc motor. in 2009 IEEE International Conference on Vehicular Electronics and Safety (ICVES), Pune, India (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.M. Surya Kalavathi, C. Subba Rami Reddy, Performance evaluation of classical and fuzzy logic control techniques for brushless DC motor drive, in 2012 IEEE International Power Modulator and High Voltage Conference (IPMHVC), San Diego, CA, USA (2012)Google Scholar