Application of Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare
This chapter presents the role and significance of Artificial Intelligence, commonly known as AI, in the control and management of Tuberculosis (TB). The complexity of the disease and problems in TB diagnosis are introduced. Following this, initiatives and opportunities for using AI in TB diagnosis in Thailand are shown as a case study. The chapter concludes by discussing the current limitations of AI improvement, alternative models and key success factors in the implementation of AI in TB.
KeywordsArtificial Intelligence (AI) Tuberculosis Neuro Learning Deep Learning Innovation management Chest X-ray
The authors would like to express their sincere gratitude to Dr Krit Pongpirul for his generous support and time in sharing his knowledge and information about the use of AI in his work in this chapter and Mr. Sinarta Wirawan, Dr. Albert Tan’s student at Curtin University, Singapore in conducting a literature review for this chapter.
- AbuHassan, K. J., Bakhori, N. M., Kusnin, N., Azmi, U. Z., Tania, M. H., Evans, B. A., …, Hossain, M. (2017). Automatic diagnosis of Tuberculosis disease based on Plasmonic ELISA and color-based image classification. Paper presented at the Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 2017 39th Annual International Conference of the IEEE.Google Scholar
- Barga, R., Fontama, V., Tok, W. H., & Cabrera-Cordon, L. (2015). Predictive analytics with Microsoft Azure machine learning. Springer.Google Scholar
- CDC. (2016). Chapter 2: Transmission and pathogenesis of Tuberculosis. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/tb/education/corecurr/pdf/chapter2.pdf.
- CDC. (2018). TB testing & diagnosis. Retrieved from www.cdc.gov/tb/topic/testing.
- Center, U. o. M. M. (2016). Sputum Gram stain e overview. Retrieved from www.umm.edu/ency/article/.
- Dowsland, K. A., & Thompson, J. M. (2000). Solving a nurse scheduling problem with knapsacks, networks and tabu search. Journal of the Operational Research Society, 51(7), 825. https://doi.org/10.1057/palgrave.jors.2600970
- Fanning, A. (1999). Tuberculosis: 6. Extrapulmonary disease. CMAJ: Canadian Medical Association Journal = journal de l’Association medicale canadienne, 160(11), 1597–1603.Google Scholar
- George, F. L. (1992). Artificial intelligence: Structures and strategies for complex problem solving. Benjamin/Cummings.Google Scholar
- Gesing, B., Peterson, S., & Michelsen, D. (2018). Artificial intelligence in logistics. Retrieved from https://www.logistics.dhl/content/dam/dhl/global/core/documents/pdf/glo-ai-in-logistics-white-paper.pdf.
- Hans, R., & Marwaha, N. (2014). Nucleic acid testing-benefits and constraints. Asian Journal of Transfusion Science, 8(1), 2.Google Scholar
- Health, N. J. Tuberculosis program. Retrieved October 1, 2018, from https://www.nationaljewish.org/treatment-programs/directory/tb.
- Healthwise. (2017). Tuberculin skin test. Retrieved from https://www.cigna.com/individuals-families/health-wellness/hw/medical-tests/tuberculin-skin-test-hw203560..
- Jereb, J., Etkind, S. C., Joglar, O. T., Moore, M., & Taylor, Z. (2003). Tuberculosis contact investigations: Outcomes in selected areas of the United States, 1999. International Journal of Tuberculosis and Lung Disease, 7(12 Suppl. 3), S384–S390.Google Scholar
- Kanabus, A. (2018). Information about Tuberculosis. Retrieved from https://www.tbfacts.org/countries-tb/.
- Lindsay McKenna, A. Z., & Lessem, E. (2014). An activist’s guide to Tuberculosis drugs. New York: Treatment Action Group. Retrieved from http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/sites/default/files/2016%20Activists%20Guide%20to%20TB%20Drugs.1.5.pdf
- Marr, B. (2016). How machine learning, big data and AI are changing healthcare forever. Forbes Magazine. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2016/09/23/how-machine-learning-big-data-and-ai-are-changing-healthcare-forever/#429051561a1c.
- MayoClinic. Retrieved August 30, 2018, from https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/tuberculosis/symptoms-causes/syc-20351250.
- Nienhaus, A., Schablon, A., Costa, J. T., & Diel, R. (2011). Systematic review of cost and cost-effectiveness of different TB-screening strategies. BMC Health Services Research, 11, 247–247. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6963-11–247
- Pongpirul, K., Sathitratanacheewin, S., Sunanta, P., & Kampa, K. (2018, 3–7 October 2018). Deep learning for automated classification of abnormal chest radiograph associated with Tuberculosis (DAC4TB) in the U.S. Hospital-scale CXR database. Paper presented at the IDWeek 2018, San Francisco, USA.Google Scholar
- Qure.AI. Retrieved from http://qure.ai/qxr/.
- Research, M. F. f. M. E. a. Mycobacterium Tuberculosis complex, molecular detection, PCR, Paraffin. Retrieved from https://www.mayocliniclabs.com/test-catalog/Clinical%C3%BEand%C3%BEInterpretive/62203.
- Satheeshkumar, K., & Raj, A. N. J. (2006). Developments in computer aided diagnosis used for Tuberculosis detection using chest radiography: A survey. Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, 11(9), 5530–5539. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/aa1d/0fec10dda57fe549768ba51513a1b802d39a.pdf
- Sathitratanacheewin, S., & Pongpirul, K. (2018). Deep Learning for Automated Classification of Tuberculosis-Related Chest X-Ray: Dataset Specificity Limits Diagnostic Performance Generalizability.Google Scholar
- Singh, P., Kant, S., Gaur, P., Tripathi, A., & Pandey, S. (2018). Extra pulmonary Tuberculosis: An overview and review of literature. International Journal of Life-Sciences Scientific Research, 4(1), 1539–1541.Google Scholar
- Sonrueng, V. (2018). กรมควบคุมโรค รณรงค์ “ผู้ขับขี่ปอดสะอาด ปราศจากวัณโรค”. Retrieved from http://www.btripnews.net/?p=22348.
- Tania, M. H., Lwin, K., AbuHassan, K., Bakhori, N. M., Azmi, U. Z. M., Yusof, N. A., & Hossain, M. (2017). An Automated Colourimetric Test by Computational Chromaticity Analysis: A Case Study of Tuberculosis Test. Paper presented at the International Conference on Practical Applications of Computational Biology & Bioinformatics.Google Scholar
- Tasillo, A., Salomon, J. A., Trikalinos, T. A., Horsburgh, C. R., Jr., Marks, S. M., & Linas, B. P. (2017). Cost-effectiveness of testing and treatment for latent Tuberculosis infection in residents born outside the United States with and without medical comorbidities in a simulation model. JAMA Internal Medicine, 177(12), 1755–1764. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2017.3941CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Thai PBS. (2017). Over 3,000 prison inmates found to have TB. Retrieved from http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/3000-prison-inmates-found-tb/.
- The Nation. (2018a). 388 suspected TB cases found among inmates in Phitsanulok prisons. Retrieved from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30355321.
- The Nation. (2018b). Inmates in Northeast screened for TB. Retrieved from http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30341409.
- Tsara, V., Serasli, E., & Christaki, P. (2009). Problems in diagnosis and treatment of Tuberculosis infection. Hippokratia, 13(1), 20–22.Google Scholar
- UN. Sustainable development goals. Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/topics/sustainabledevelopmentgoals.
- Unahalekhaka, A. (2010). Situation analysis of nosocomial TB transmission prevention among hospitals in Thailand: Presentation Number 8-086. AJIC (American Journal of Infection Control), 38(5), E75–E76.Google Scholar
- WebMD. What is a sputum culture? Retrieved October 1, 2018, from www.webmd.com/lung/sputum-culture.
- WHO. (2006a). Diagnostics for Tuberculosis: Global demand and market potential, 26. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/43543.
- WHO. (2006b). Tuberculosis Fact sheet N°104—Global and regional incidence. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/en/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/tuberculosis.
- WHO. (2008). New laboratory diagnostic tools for Tuberculosis control. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/tdr/publications/documents/diagnostic-tool-tb.pdf.
- WHO. (2010). Treatment of Tuberculosis: Guidelines. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/tb/publications/2010/9789241547833/en/.
- WHO. (2011a). Fluorescent light-emitting diode (LED) microscopy for diagnosis of Tuberculosis: Policy statement. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/tb/publications/2011/led_microscopy_diagnosis_9789241501613/en/.
- WHO. (2011b). Guidelines for intensified case-finding and isoniazid preventive therapy for people living with HIV in resource constrained settings. Retrieved from https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44472/9789241500708_eng.pdf?sequence=1.
- WHO. (2014). Global Tuberculosis Report 2014. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/137094/1/9789241564809_eng.pdf.
- WHO. (2015a). Digital health for the end TB strategy: An agenda for action. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/tb/publications/digitalhealth-TB-agenda/en/.
- WHO. (2015b). Systematic screening for active Tuberculosis: An operational guide (WHO/HTM/TB/2015.16). Retrieved from https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/181164/9789241549172_eng.pdf?sequence=1.
- WHO. (2016). Chest radiography in Tuberculosis detection: Summary of current WHO recommendations and guidance on programmatic approaches. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/tb/publications/chest-radiography/en/.
- WHO. (2017). Global Tuberculosis Report 2017. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/en/
- WHO. (2018a). Latent Tuberculosis infection: Updated and consolidated guidelines for programmatic management. Retrieved from http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/260233/9789241550239-eng.pdf?sequence=1.
- WHO. (2018b). Tuberculosis country profiles. From World Health Organisation https://www.who.int/tb/country/data/profiles/en/.
- Yahiaoui, A., Er, O., & Yumusak, N. (2017). A new method of automatic recognition for Tuberculosis disease diagnosis using support vector machines. Biomedical Research, 28(9).Google Scholar
- Zink, A. R., Grabner, W., & Nerlich, A. G. (2005). Molecular identification of human Tuberculosis in recent and historic bone tissue samples: The role of molecular techniques for the study of historic Tuberculosis. American Journal of Physical Anthropology, 126(1), 32–47. https://doi.org/10.1002/ajpa.10409CrossRefGoogle Scholar