Modernizing Farm Business Management: Comparative Analysis of Japanese and Californian Rice Farming
In Japan, farming companies, particularly those that grow rice, have recently been promoted to supersede conventional small farms under increasing competitive pressure. Modernization of farm management is a key concept that measures the extent to which modern enterprise management has evolved from the family farms. We conducted unique benchmarking surveys to compare the degrees of modernization between Japanese rice-farming companies and their major international competitor, Californian rice farmers. It was found that Californian producers outperform those in Japan not only in terms of farm scale and rice yield but also in terms of farmers’ capabilities and economic modernization metrics. It was revealed that entrepreneurial advancement, information gathering, and risk-accepting behavior were influential capabilities of Japanese rice farmers with regard to their business innovations. From the perspective of global competitiveness, Japanese rice farmers need to enhance their managerial abilities to further progress in the modernization of their farm business and to get further involved in effective marketing management. Also, our analysis suggests that the research methodologies designed to explore farm management modernization originating from studies in Japan would be worth applying as an international benchmark.
KeywordsFarming companies Farm modernization International benchmark Management improvement Managerial capability
This research was supported by JSPS KAKENHI, grant numbers 24330113 and 15 K03642. The author thanks Sandy and Wally Denn of Snow Goose Farms; Tim Johnson, President & CEO of the California Rice Commission; and, especially, all of the interviewed and surveyed farmers for their time.
- Alsos, A. G., Carter, S., Ljunggren, E., & Welter, F. (Eds.). (2011). The handbook of research on entrepreneurship in agriculture and rural development. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd.Google Scholar
- Aoki, M., & Itami, H. (1985). Kigyō no keizaigaku (Economics of the firm). Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten Publishers.Google Scholar
- Arahata, K. (2014). Gentan 40-nen to nihon no suiden nōgyō. (Japan’s paddy farming in the 40 years of the acreage reduction program). Tokyo: Norin Tokei Kyokai.Google Scholar
- Baldwin, K., Dohlman, E., & Childs, N. (2011). Consolidation and structural change in the US rice sector. Available via USDA ERS Homepage. http://usda.mannlib.cornell.edu/usda/ers/RCS//2010s/2011/RCS-04-21-2011_Special_Report.pdf. Accessed 12 Sept 2017.
- Castle, N. E., Becker, M., & Nelson, G. A. (1987). Farm business management: The decision-making process (3rd ed.). New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Gasson, R., & Errington, A. (1993). The farm family business. Wallingford: CAB International.Google Scholar
- Internal Revenue Service. (2013). Farmer’s tax guide, publication 225. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of the Treasury.Google Scholar
- Jack, L. (2009). Benchmarking in food and farming: Creating sustainable change. Surrey: Gower Publishing Ltd.Google Scholar
- Kamegai, K., & Hotta, T. (1991). Komesangyō no kokusai hikaku (International comparison of rice industry). Tokyo: Yokendo.Google Scholar
- Kay, R. D., Edwards, W., & Duffy, P. A. (2012). Farm management (7th ed.). New York: McGraw Hill Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Kimura, N. (2004). Gendai nōgyōkeiei no seicyō riron (Growth theory of modern farm business). Tokyo: Norin Tokei Kyokai.Google Scholar
- Kimura, N. (2008). Gendai nōgyō no manejimento (Management of modern agriculture). Tokyo: Nihon Keizai Hyouronsya Ltd.Google Scholar
- Kingwell, R. (2002). Issues for farm management in the 21st century: A view from the west. Agribusiness Review, 10. http://www.agrifood.info/review/2002/Kingwell.pdf. Accessed 15 Sept 2017.
- Kinoshita, Y., O’Keefe, S., & Kimura, N. (2015). A case study on farm business management styles: A survey of rice farm businesses in New South Wales, Australia, applied to the Japanese context. The Japanese Journal of Rural Economics, 17, 52–57. https://doi.org/10.18480/jjre.17.52.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MAFF. (2017). 2015 census of agriculture and forestry, volume 4. Tokyo: MAFF.Google Scholar
- MAFF [Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries]. (2016). Rice and other grains production cost survey: Crop year 2014. Tokyo: MAFF.Google Scholar
- McElwee, G., & Bosworth, G. (2010). Exploring the strategic skills of farmers across a typology of farm diversification approaches. Journal of Farm Management, 13, 819–838.Google Scholar
- Muggen, G. (1969). Human factors and farm management: A review of the literature. World Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology Abstracts, 11, 1–11.Google Scholar
- OECD [Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development]. (2011). Fostering productivity and competitiveness in agriculture. https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264166820-en.
- OECD and EUROSTAT [Statistical Office of the European Communities]. (2005). Oslo manual: Guidelines for collecting and interpreting innovation data (3rd ed.). https://doi.org/10.1787/9789264013100-en.
- Olson, K. (2011). Economics of farm management in a global setting. Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Rikkonen, P., Mäkijärvi, E., & Ylätalo, M. (2013). Defining foresight activities and future strategies in farm management: Empirical results from Finnish FADN farms. International Journal of Agricultural Management, 3(1), 3–11.Google Scholar
- Ronan, G., & Cleary, G. (2000). Best benchmarking practice in Australian agriculture: Issues and challenges. In Australasian agribusiness perspectives, paper 39. http://www.agrifood.info/perspectives/2000/Ronan.html. Accessed 12 Sept 2017.
- Schumpeter, A. J. (1934). The theory of economic development: An inquiry into profits, capital, credit, interest and the business cycle. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Statistics Bureau of Japan. (2014). 2012 economic census for business frame of Japan. Tokyo: Statistics Bureau of Japan.Google Scholar
- USDA. (2014). 2012 census of agriculture, volume 1, part 5, California. Washington, DC: USDA. https://www.agcensus.usda.gov. Accessed 7 May 2017.
- USDA [United States Department of Agriculture]. (1999). 1997 census of agriculture, volume 1, part 5, California. Washington, DC: USDA. https://www.agcensus.usda.gov. Accessed 7 May 2017
- Yagi, H. (1992). Kariforunia no komesangyō (Rice industry in California). Tokyo: University of Tokyo Press.Google Scholar