HalluciFear: Educational Game About Drug Addiction
In Thailand, drug abuse is perceived as the number one social problem, ranked by the Thai population. Adolescent drug abuse, although decreased in total number, surprisingly increased among younger youths compared to before. This work presents “HalluciFear,” an educational 3D horror game with the first-person view that relates drugs’ side effect with fear. The game imitates vision effect resulting from lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) substance abuse. The targeted players are Thai people ages 13 or above, the ages that are believed to be in a high risk of becoming victims of drug abuse. Upon evaluation of the game, the authors used a satisfactory survey for regular players and game content survey for specialists. The evaluation result showed the average game quality, and overall user’s satisfaction was good with the averages of 4.16 and 3.91, respectively.
Keywords3D game Drug abuse prevention Educational game LSD Horror game
We thank our anonymous participants for playing and evaluating our game. We sincerely thank the anonymous reviewers for their careful reading of our manuscript and their helpful comments.
- 2.An inside look at drug addiction in Thailand, http://scopeblog.stanford.edu/2016/04/05/an-inside-look-at-drug-addiction-in-thailand. Accessed 21 June 2018
- 3.Electronic Transactions Development Agency (Public Organization) Thailand internet user profile in 2016, https://issuu.com/peerasakchanchaiwittaya/docs/thailand_internet_user_profile_2016. Accessed 21 June 2018
- 5.Foundation for a Drug-Free World International (2008) The truth about LSD, Los AngelesGoogle Scholar
- 6.Medrano C (2011) Top 10 strong human fears, http://listverse.com/2011/09/30/top-10-strong-human-fears. Accessed 21 June 2018
- 7.Layton J (2005) How fear works, HowStuffWorks.com, http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/emotions/fear5.htm. Accessed 19 Nov 2018
- 9.Gibson J (2014) Introduction to game design, prototyping, and development: from concept to playable game with Unity and C#. Addison Wesley, Upper Saddle River, NJGoogle Scholar
- 10.Muir JK (2013) Horror films FAQ: all that’s left to know about Slashers, Vampires, Zombies, Aliens, and more, Applause Theatre and Cinema BooksGoogle Scholar