Anti-apoptotic Effect of Taurine on Schwann Cells Exposed to High Glucose In Vitro
It was reported that apoptosis of Schwann cells could increase in the diabetic rats. The studies showed that taurine inhibited apoptosis in a variety of cells. However, there were few reports on studying the protection of taurine against apoptosis of Schwann cells induced by high glucose (HG) and the underlying mechanism. In our study, the cells were divided into five groups: Control: the normal medium; HG group: 50 mM high glucose; T1: 50 mM high glucose+Taurine (10 mM) group; T2: 50 mM high glucose+Taurine (20 mM) group; T3: 50 mM high glucose+Taurine (40 mM) group. We used MTT and Tunel assays to measure the cell viability and apoptosis, respectively. Then, we also used western blotting to detect the protein levels of apoptosis-related protein. The results demonstrate that taurine promoted cell viability and decreased apoptosis in RSC96 cells exposed to HG. Furthermore, taurine markedly improved imbalance of Bax and Bcl-2, inhibited the translocation of Cytochrome C (Cyt C) from mitochondria to cytosol and reduced caspase-3 activity in HG-induced RSC96 cells. Our results indicate that taurine protect against apoptosis of Schwann cells induced by HG via inhibiting mitochondria-dependent caspase-3 pathway.
KeywordsHigh glucose Apoptosis Schwann cells Schwann cells Anti-apoptotic effect
In situ TdT-mediated dUTP nick end labeling
Conflict of Interest
It is declared that there is no conflict of interest among the authors.
It is declared that there is no animal was harmed or hurt except according to ethics.
It is declared that this manuscript is submitting after consent from all authors are aware of this submission.
- Alam U, Asghar O, Azmi S, Malik RA (2014) General aspects of diabetes mellitus: Elsevier Health SciencesGoogle Scholar
- Bondan EF, Lallo MA, Trigueiro AH, Ribeiro CP, Sinhorini IL, Graça DL (2006) Delayed Schwann cell and oligodendrocyte remyelination after ethidium bromide injection in the brainstem of Wistar rats submitted to streptozotocin diabetogenic treatment. Braz J Med Biol Res 39(5):637–646PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tesfaye S, Selvarajah D (2012) Advances in the epidemiology, pathogenesis and management of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabetes 28(Suppl 1):8Google Scholar
- Wang Q, Huang H, Huang Z (2015) Taurine inhibited the apoptosis of glial cells induced by hypoxia. J Hyg Res 44(2):284Google Scholar
- Zhongmin Alex Ma ZZ, Turk J (2014) Mitochondrial dysfunction and β-cell failure in type 2 diabetes mellitus. Exp Diabetes Res 2012(2012):703538Google Scholar