Designing a Mobile Technology Capacity Building Framework for Workplace Learning
Although workplace learning (WPL) and mobile learning are both university priorities, surprisingly they rarely intersect in practice. This chapter reports on a multi-university project that explored how to enhance WPL with mobile technology on placement and resulted in the development of the mobile technology capacity building (MTCB) framework for WPL. We first outline our method for gathering data. We then discuss our findings, which provided evidence that there is value in using mobile technology to enhance WPL and helped us identify seven themes that underpin a productive use of mobile technology for WPL and the five learning dimensions to foster student agency. Finally, we discuss how the seven themes are related to the five learning dimensions.
- Brookfield, S. (2012). Teaching for critical thinking: Tools and techniques to help students question their assumptions. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Dahlstrom, E., Brooks, C., Grajek, S., & Reeves, J. (2015). Study of students and information technology, 2015. Research report. Louisville, CO: EDUCAUSE Centre for Analysis and Research.Google Scholar
- Goodyear, P., & Markauskaite, L. (2012). Pedagogic designs, technology and practice-based education. In J. Higgs, R. Barnett, S. Billett, M. Hutchings, & F. Trede (Eds.), Practice-based education: Perspectives and Strategies. Sense: Rotterdam.Google Scholar
- Trede, F., Goodyear, P., Macfarlane, S., Markauskaite, L., McEwen, C., & Tayebjee, F. (2016). Enhancing workplace learning through mobile technology: Barriers and opportunities to the use of mobile devices on placement. In Proceedings of Mobile Learning Futures—Sustaining Quality Research and Practice in Mobile Learning, 15th World Conference on Mobile and Contextual Learning, mLearn 2016, 24–26 October, (pp. 250–260), Sydney.Google Scholar
- Trede, F., McEwen, C., Kuswara, A., & Pace-Feraud, J. (2013). CSU students and staff’s use of technology in workplace learning. [Video file] Retrieved from http://www.csu.edu.au/division/student-learning/home/csu-academics/think-pieces/2013/efpi2013.
- Williams, R. D., Lee, A., Link, A., & Ernst, D. (2014). Minding the gaps: Mobile technology and student perceptions of technology, International HETL Review, 4(1). Retrieved from https://www.hetl.org/minding-the-gaps-mobile-technologies-and-student-perceptions-of-technology/.