This chapter focuses on the range of reflective practices that can be mediated or enhanced with mobile technology. We discuss the purpose, process and content of reflection and reflective practice as well as the role of reflecting on practice in workplace learning (WPL). We emphasise the importance of helping students understand reflection as a continuous activity associated with action and the improvement of practice. We propose concrete examples of technology-enhanced structured and scaffolded reflective activities for WPL. These activities offer ways of creating and seizing opportunities for reflection while on placement.
- Brookfield, S. D. (2012). Teaching for critical thinking: Tools and techniques to help students question their assumptions. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Boud, D., Keogh, R., & Walker, D. (2013). Reflection: Turning experience into learning. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Buzan, T., & Buzan, B. (2006). The mind map book. Harlow, UK: BBC Active.Google Scholar
- Dewey, J. (1933). How we think: A restatement of the relation of reflective thinking to the educative process (Revised ed.). Boston: D. C. Heath.Google Scholar
- Ferns, S., & Comfort, J. U. (2014). ePortfolios as evidence of standards and outcomes in work-integrated learning. Asia-Pacific Journal of Cooperative Education, 15(3), 269–280.Google Scholar
- Freire, P. (1973). Education for critical consciousness. New York: Seabury Press.Google Scholar
- Fullan, M., & Langworthy, M. (2014). A rich seam: How new pedagogies find deep learning. London: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Hartnell-Young, E., Harrison, C., Crook, C., Pemberton, R., Joyes, G., Fisher, T., & Davies, L. (2007). The impact of e-portfolios on learning. Coventry, UK: Becta.Google Scholar
- Harvey, M., Coulson, D., & McMaugh, A. (2016). Towards a theory of the ecology of reflection: Reflective practice for experiential learning in higher education. Journal of University Teaching & Learning Practice, 13(2), 1–20.Google Scholar
- Herrington, J., Herrington, A., Mantei, J., Olney, I., & Ferry, B. (2009). Using mobile technologies to develop new ways of teaching and learning. In J. Herrington, A. Herrington, J. Mantei, I. Olney, & B. Ferry (Eds.), New technologies, new pedagogies: Mobile learning in higher education. Wollongong: Faculty of Education, University of Wollongong.Google Scholar
- Jarvis, P. (1995). Adult and continuing education: Theory and practice, (2nd edition). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Kampylis, P., Punie, Y., & Devine, J. (2015). Promoting effective digital-age learning: A European framework for digitally-competent educational organisations. https://doi.org/10.2791/54070.
- Kolb, D. A. (1984). Experiential learning. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- McAlpine, L., Weston, C., Beauchamp, C., Wiseman, C., & Beauchamp, J. (1999). Building a metacognitive model of reflection. Higher Education, 37(2), 105–131.Google Scholar
- OALD. (2016). Reflection. Oxford advanced learner’s dictionary. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Retrieved from http://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com.
- Richardson, J., Kaider, F., Henschke, K., & Jackling, B. (2009). A framework for assessing work integrated learning. Paper presented at the 32nd HERDSA Annual Conference, Darwin, NT. http://vuir.vu.edu.au/6857/.
- Riel, M. (1993). Global education through learning circles. In L. M. Harasim (Ed.), Global networks: Computers and international communication (pp. 221–236). Cambridge, US: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Schön, D. A. (1996). The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action. Hampshire, UK: Arena.Google Scholar
- Taylor, J. D., Dearnley, C. A., Laxton, J. C., Coates, C. A., Treasure‐Jones, T., Campbell, R., & Hall, I. (2010). Developing a mobile learning solution for health and social care practice. Distance Education, 31(2), 175–192.Google Scholar
- Trede, F., & McEwen, C. (2012). Developing a critical professional identity. In J. Higgs, R. Barnett, S. Billett, M. Hutchings, & F. Trede (Eds.), Practice-based education: Perspectives and strategies (3rd ed., pp. 27–40). Rotterdam: Sense.Google Scholar
- Trede, F., & McEwen, C. (2015). Critical thinking for future practice: Learning to question. In M. Davies & R. Barnett (Eds.), The Palgrave handbook of critical thinking in higher education (pp. 457–474). New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Trede, F., & McEwen, C. (2016). Carving out the territory for educating the deliberate professional. In F. Trede & McEwen, C. (Eds.), Educating the deliberate professional: Preparing for future practices (pp. 15–28). Dodrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Zegwaard, K. E. (2015). Innovation in work integrated learning: Working towards our future. Paper presented at the Think Tank, Adelaide.Google Scholar