Personalized Adaptive Learning: An Emerging Pedagogical Approach Enabled by a Smart Learning Environment
Smart devices and intelligent technologies are enabling a smart learning environment to effectively promote the development of personalized learning and adaptive learning, in line with the trend of accelerating the integration of both. In this regard, we introduce a new teaching method enabled by a smart learning environment, which is a form of personalized adaptive learning. In order to clearly explain this approach, we have analyzed its two pillars: personalized learning and adaptive learning. From this analysis, we have also explored the core elements of personalized adaptive learning and its core concepts. On this basis, we further construct a framework of personalized adaptive learning. We hope this paper will provide readers with a clear understanding of personalized adaptive learning, and serve as an endeavor to contribute to future studies and practices.
Keywordssmart learning environment data decision-making personalized learning adaptive learning man-machine collaboration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This paper was funded by the State Scholarship Fund of China Scholarship Council.
-  Adu, E.K. & Poo, D.C.C., http://www.cdtl.nus.edu.sg/Tlhe/tlhe2014/abstracts/aduek.pdf (2014)
-  Huang, R.,Yang,J.,& Hu,Y.: From Digital to Smart:The Evolution and Trends of Learning Environment ( in Chinese). Open Education Research. 8(1), 75–84 (2012)Google Scholar
-  Huang, R., Yang, J., & Zheng, L.: The Components and Functions of Smart Learning Environments for Easy, Engaged and Effective Learning. International Journal for Educational Media and Technology. 7(1), 4–14 (2013)Google Scholar
-  Spector, J.M.: Conceptualizing the emerging field of smart learning environments. Smart learning environments. 1(1), 2 (2014)Google Scholar
-  Yang, J., Hong, C.,Yu, H., & Kinshuk.: Research focuses and trend on smart learning environments---Dialogue with et&s editor Kinshuk (in Chinese). E-EDUCATION RESEARCH. (5), 85–88 (2015)Google Scholar
-  U.S. Department of Education, Office of Educational Technology: Reimagining the role of technology in education: 2017 National Education Technology Plan update. Washington, D.C. (2017)Google Scholar
-  Adams Becker, S., Cummins, M., Davis, A., Freeman, A., Hall Giesinger, C., and Ananthanarayanan, V.: NMC Horizon Report: 2017 Higher Education Edition. The New Media Consortium, Austin, Texas (2017)Google Scholar
-  Li, K.D., http://www.docin.com/p-1199857000.html
-  Zhu, Z.T., Peng, H.C., & Li, Y.H.: Intelligence Education: An Approaches to Smarter Education (in Chinese). Open Education Research. 24(4), 13–24 (2018)Google Scholar
-  Zhu, Z.T.,& Wei, F.: Educational Informatization 2.0: Starting on a Journey of Intelligence Education Guided by Smart Education. E-EDUCATION RESEARCH. (9),5–16 (2018)Google Scholar