A P2P Algorithm for Energy Saving of a Parallel-Connected Pumps System
A distributed optimal control algorithm is investigated, in this paper, to deal with the problem in a peer-to-peer (P2P) control setting for parallel pumps in heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems. Each pump is equipped with a controller and becomes an intelligent node (as a peer), and nodes are equal, self-organizing, and mutually coordinated. When the HVAC system provides the pressure difference and flow rate, each intelligent node applies the random generation of the speed ratio samples method. Then, the nodes coordinate with each other and constantly optimize the speed ratio of each pump, so that the total energy consumption of the system tends to be minimum. Simulation experiment results are provided to demonstrate the performance of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsDistributed Peer-to-peer (P2P) Pump in parallel Speed ratio Optimal control
This work was supported by the National Key Research and Development Project of China (No. 2017YFC0704100 entitled New Generation Intelligent Building Platform Techniques, and 2016YFB0901900) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61425027), the 111 International Collaboration Program of China under Grant B06002, BP2018006 and Special fund of Suzhou-Tsinghua Innovation Leading Action (Project Number: 2016SZ0202).
We appreciate the constructive and helpful comments from anonymous reviews and conference organizers.
- 3.Yang, Z., Børsting, H.: Energy efficient control of a boosting system with multiple variable-speed pumps in parallel. In: 2010 49th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC) (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Jepsen, K.L., Hansen, L., Mai, C., Yang, Z.: Power consumption optimization for multiple parallel centrifugal pumps. In: IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA), pp. 806–811 (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Nissim, R., Brafman, R.I.: Multi-agent A* for parallel and distributed systems. In: Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, vol. 3 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhuang, L., Chen, X, Guan, X.: A decentralized ordinal optimization for energy saving of an HVAC system. In: American Control Conference (ACC) (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Pumps, S.: Centrifugal Pump Handbook, 3rd edn. Elsevier Science. (2010)Google Scholar
- 15.Bernier, M., Bourret, B.: Pumping energy and variable frequency drives. ASHRAE J. 41(12), 37–40 (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Dai, Y., Jiang, Z., Xin, S, et al.: Optimal control of variable speed parallel-connected pumps. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Indoor Air Quality and Climate, pp. 87–94 (2014)Google Scholar