Study on the Characteristics of Vehicle Lane-Changing in the Intersection
This paper analyses the behavioral characteristics of lane-changing at signalized intersections. It analyses the expected speed of a vehicle running and the benefits of lane-changing, which is based on the theory of traffic flow at first. Second, it sets up a basic model of the vehicle lane-changing in the intersection, combined with the relative speed, the relative distance and the space required for the vehicle in the lane-changing process. Finally, it analyzed the influence of vehicle lane-changing behavior on traffic flow using traffic flow data which was obtained by the actual survey. Research results show that the original lane traffic decrease by 4.6% and the target lane traffic decreases by 8.1% in 12 signal cycles, which is caused by vehicle lane-changing in the intersection.
KeywordsVehicle Lane-changing Signal intersection Road traffic efficiency Traffic flow
This work is supported by the Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (No. 2016M601373). Research Topic of Economic and Social Development in Liaoning, China (2018lslktqn-058). Basic Scientific Research Projects of Higher Education, Liaoning, China (L17JBKY04). Philosophy and social science planning project of Shenyang, China (2017012). The project of Shenyang Social Sciences (SYSK2018-08-09, SYSK2018-08-10).
- 1.Salvucci, D.D., Liu, A.: The time course of a lane change: driver control and eye-movement behavior. Transp. Res. Part F. pp. 123–132 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Kim, S., Son, Y., Kang, J.: Behaviors and characteristics of traffic flow within the influence zone of freeway merge area in Korea. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Traffic and Transportation Studies, pp. 919–926. ASCE Publication, Reston VA (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Coifman, B., Krishnamurthy, S., Wang, X.: Lane-change maneuvers consuming freeway capacity. In: Proceedings of 5th International Conference on Traffic and Granular Flow, pp. 3–14. Springer, Berlin (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Qu, Z., Xing, Y., et al.: The departure characteristics of traffic flow at the signalized intersection. Math. Probl. Eng. 2013, 1–11 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Gipps, P.G.: A model for the structure of lane-changing decisions. Transp. Res. Part B. 403–414 (1986)Google Scholar
- 9.Zou, Z.J, Yang, D.Y.: Lane changing model for micro traffic simulation. China J. Highw. Transp. 15(2), 105–108 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Huang, Q.: Study on Lane Change Behavior Character and Its Influence To Traffic Safety. Harbin Institute of Technology, Harbin (2007). https://doi.org/10.1061/41064(358)17