Research on Driving Decisions in Winter and Summer Based on Survey Date
It is a fact that comparing the effect of signal change (especially changing from green to yellow) on driving decisions in different seasons is a significant way to promote traffic safety. In this study, by using video recording, a variety of data through observing vehicles on four intersections in Shenyang were obtained to analyze drivers’ driving decisions during green countdown signal change in summer and winter. Based on data including speed of a vehicle, the remaining time of countdown timers, and the Electronic Police (E-Police), and a Logistic model was established to analyze the influence of signalized intersections on drivers’ decision-making in summer and winter. The result shows that the stop decision is only impacted when the countdown signal is coexistent with E-Police in summer. Also, both the countdown signal and the E-Police have a great influence on the stopping decision in winter.
KeywordsDrivers’ decision Countdown signal E-Police Inter-green period
Acknowledgements and Statements
The work was supported by the Social Science Fund of Liaoning Province of China (L18BGL026) and Basic Scientific Research Project in the University of Liaoning Province of China (Z2218043).
The investigation of this paper was conducted with the consent of Shenyang Transportation Bureau (Shenyang, China), and participants (drivers) were informed of the use of relevant information in this investigation.
- 1.Peng, H.H., Zhang, C.B., Shi, Y.H., et al.: Research on influence of red countdown on vehicle departure time at intersection. J. Wuhan Univ. Technol. 40(3), 540–549 (2016). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, X.B., Wang, K.F.: Impact analysis and prospect of traffic signal countdown display. Compr. Transp. 37(10), 61–67 (2015). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Cao, Y., Yang, Z.Z., Zuo, Z.Y.: Influence of countdown signal of green light on driving behavior. China Saf. Sci. J. 25(2), 77–82 (2015). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 5.Girish, V.V., Asha, A., Vanajakshi, L.: Effect of countdown timers on red light violations under heterogeneous traffic conditions. J. Inst. Eng. (India): Civ. Eng. Div. 92, 37–43 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Pan, F.Q., Liu, T., Zhang, L.X., et al.: Modeling of driving behaviors at countdown signalized intersections considering the value of car. J. Transp. Syst. Eng. Inf. Technol. 16(2), 64–69 (2016). (in Chinese)Google Scholar