A Longitudinal Study of Second Language Literacy Instruction Through Assignment Design at the University of Macau
This chapter focuses on a set of English courses designed to improve pre-service teachers’ language competency at the University of Macau (UM). Specifically, it looks at L2 literacy instruction through how assessment design evolved over a decade. A sociocultural lens and the New Literacy Studies (NLS) definition of literacy frame this discussion. Data for the study include instructor-generated materials and student course evaluations and reflections. Corpus linguistic methods were used to compare the similarities and differences in both sets of data before and after the 2011 UM curriculum reform. The results suggest that a sociocultural interpretation of literacy can impact student learning through emphasizing skill application rather than skill knowledge.
- Bitzer, L. F. (1968). The rhetorical situation. Philosophy & Rhetoric, 1(1), 1–14.Google Scholar
- Bloom, B. S. (Ed.). (1956). Taxonomy of educational objectives: The classification of educational goals. Handbook 1: Cognitive domain. New York, NY: Longman.Google Scholar
- Gee, J. P. (2006). What is literacy? In P. Vandenberg, S. Hum, & J. Clary-Lemon (Eds.), Relations, locations, positions: Composition theory for writing teachers (pp. 29–39). Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English (Reprinted from: Teaching and learning 2, 1987, pp. 3–11).Google Scholar
- Gee, J. P. (2015). The new literacy studies. In K. Pahl & J. Rowsell (Eds.), The Routledge handbook of literacy studies (pp. 35–48). London, UK: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Government of Macau Special Administrative Region Education and Youth Affairs Bureau. (2017). General survey of non-tertiary education in Macau. Retrieved from http://portal.dsej.gov.mo/webdsejspace/internet/Inter_main_page.jsp?id=8034.
- Lado, R. (1961). Language testing. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Lee, A. S. (2014). Teaching multilinguals with book builder: An integration of technology and collaboration. In E. Doman (Ed.), Insight into EFL teaching and issues in Asia (pp. 83–102). Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Scholars.Google Scholar
- QSR International. (2016). NVivo qualitative data analysis software (Version 11). Retrieved from http://www.qsrinternational.com/products_nvivo.aspx.
- Street, B. V. (2009). Hidden features of academic paper writing. Working Papers in Educational Linguistics, 24(1), 1–17.Google Scholar
- University of Macau. (2010). UM calendar 2010–2011. Macau: University of Macau.Google Scholar
- University of Macau. (2011). General education programme handbook. Macau: University of Macau.Google Scholar