Soil pH Classification Based on LSTM via UWB Radar Echoes
This paper proposed a new method to classify soil pH based on long short-term memory (LSTM) via ultra-wideband (UWB) radar echoes. The main contribution of this paper is to provide a solution by incorporating the LSTM into the field experiment related to UWB based on soil pH echoes. Five types of UWB soil echoes with different pH values are collected and investigated using LSTM approach. Finally, the analysis of results shows that LSTM method presents a good classification performance with a short execution time and the data features do not need to be extracted manually. The high accuracy rate also shows that LSTM method is beneficial to the study of other soil parameters.
KeywordsSoil pH UWB radar echoes LSTM
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61671138, 61731006), and was partly supported by the 111 Project No. B17008.
- 2.Lambot S, Slob EC, van den Bosch I, Stockbroeckx B, Scheers B, Vanclooster M. Estimating soil electric properties from monostatic ground-penetrating radar signal inversion in the frequency domain. Water Resour Res. 2004;40(4)Google Scholar
- 3.Liu M, Zhu F, Liang J. Channel modeling based on ultra-wide bandwidth (UWB) radar in soil environment with different pH values. In: 2014 Sixth international conference on wireless communications and signal processing (WCSP); 2014. IEEE, p. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 4.Liang J, Liu X, Liao K. Soil moisture retrieval using UWB echoes via fuzzy logic and machine learning. IEEE Internet Things J. 2017Google Scholar
- 5.Dewberry B. Monostatic radar module reconfiguration and evaluation tool (mrm-ret) pulson \(\textregistered \). Time Domain Corp; 2012Google Scholar
- 7.Tury W, Horton R. Soil physics. Hoboken: Wiley & Sons Inc; 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.Velickovic P, Karazija L, Lane ND, Bhattacharya S, Liberis E, Lio P, Vegreville M. Cross-modal recurrent models for weight objective prediction from multimodal time-series data. ArXiv e-prints; 2017Google Scholar
- 10.Understanding LSTM Networks. http://colah.github.io