Non-contact Detection of Vital Signs via a UWB Radar Sensor
The detection of vital signs by the ultra-wideband (UWB) radar sensor does not require touching the body. The UWB radar sensor has shorter detection time and less radiation than X-rays. Considering that heartbeat signals and respiratory signals are non-stationary, this paper uses the empirical mode decomposition (EMD) algorithm and the variational mode decomposition (VMD) algorithm to process them. Both respiratory and heartbeat characteristics are obtained with non-contact detection in the paper. The Hilbert transform of vital signs is conducted to reflect the time–frequency information of vital signs. Experimental results show that a highly accurate detection of vital signs can be achieved using the proposed methods.
KeywordsUWB radar sensor Human detection Mode decomposition Hilbert transform
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61671138, 61731006), and was partly supported by the 111 Project No. B17008.
- 3.Kaplan M. Wireless sensing for the respiratory activity of human beings: measurements and wide-band numerical analysis. Int J Antennas Propag. 2013;2013(3):559–62 (2013-4-22).Google Scholar
- 5.Ziganshin EG, Numerov MA, Vygolov SA. UWB baby monitor. In: International conference on ultrawideband and ultrashort impulse signals; 2010. p. 159–61.Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar A, Liang Q, Li Z, Zhang B, Wu X. Experimental study of through-wall human being detection using ultra-wideband (UWB) radar; 2012.Google Scholar
- 7.Zito D, Pepe D, Neri B, Zito F, De RD, Lanat A. Feasibility study and design of a wearable system-on-a-chip pulse radar for contactless cardiopulmonary monitoring. Int J Telemed Appl. 2008;2008(4):328597.Google Scholar
- 8.Mincica M, Pepe D, Tognetti A, Lanat A, Rossi DD, Zito D. Enabling technology for heart health wireless assistance. In: IEEE international conference on e-Health networking applications and services; 2010. p. 36–42.Google Scholar
- 9.Zito D, Pepe D, Mincica M, Zito F. A 90 nm CMOS SoC UWB pulse radar for respiratory rate monitoring. In: Solid-state circuits conference digest of technical papers; 2011. p. 40–1.Google Scholar
- 10.Dragomiretskiy K, Zosso D. Variational mode decomposition. IEEE Press; 2014.Google Scholar