An Improved Monte Carlo Localization Algorithm in WSN Based on Newton Interpolation
In recent years, with the development of sensor technology and wireless communication technology, wireless sensor network (WSN) as the technology for information acquisition and processing is widely applied in many fields. It is important for nodes to know their localizations for further applications. In this article, a range-free localization algorithm in WSN that builds upon the Monte Carlo Localization (MCL) algorithm is proposed. It concentrates on improving the sampling efficiency by changing the weights of samples. More specifically, mobility is used to improve the sampling efficiency to make sure MCL can perform well even when the sample number is low.
KeywordsWireless sensor network Monte Carlo Localization algorithm Newton interpolation method Sample weight
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (61671138, 61731006), and was partly supported by the 111 Project No. B17008.
- 2.Niculescu D, Nath B. Ad hoc positioning system (APS) using AoA. In: IEEE INFOCOM, 2003, San Francisco, vol. 3; 2003. p. 1734–43.Google Scholar
- 3.Girod L, Estrin D. Robust range estimation using acoustic and multimodal sensing. In: IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS 01), Maui, vol. 3; 2001. p. 1312–20.Google Scholar
- 4.Priyantha NB, Miu AKL, Balakrishnan H, et al. The ricket compass for context-aware mobile applications. In: 7th annual international conference on mobile computing and networking, Rome; 2001. p. 1–14.Google Scholar
- 5.Girod L, Bychovskiy V, Elson J, et al. Locating tiny sensors in time and space: a case study. In: 2002 IEEE international conference on computer design: VLSI in computers and processors, Freiburg; 2002. p. 214–9.Google Scholar
- 7.Nicolescu D, Nath B. Ad-Hoc positioning systems (APS). In: Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE global telecommunications conference, vol. 5. San Antonio: IEEE Communications Society; 2001, p. 2926–31.Google Scholar
- 8.He T, Huang C, Blum BM et al. Range-free localization schemes for large scale sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th annual international conference on mobile computing and networking. New York, NY, USA: ACM Press; 2003, p. 81–95.Google Scholar
- 9.Hu L, Evans D. Localization for mobile sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 10th annual international conference on mobile computing and networking. ACM Press; 2004. p. 45–7.Google Scholar