Artificial Fish Swarm-Inspired Whale Optimization Algorithm for Solving Multimodal Benchmark Functions
Multimodal benchmark function optimization has gained a growing interest exclusively in the evolutionary computation research field which involves achieving all or most of the multiple solutions contrasting a single best solution. A large number of real-world optimization problems can be considered as multimodal function optimization. Recently introduced Whale Optimization Algorithm (WOA) algorithm is inspired by the hunting behavior of humpback whales. The performance of WOA is very promising but the robustness and convergence need further improvement. In this paper, ‘step equation’ of Artificial Fish Swarm Algorithm (AFSA) was incorporated to enhance the robustness and convergence of the original WOA considering five multimodal test functions (F1–F5) for global numerical optimization. The proposed variant of WOA showed improved performances compared to original WOA in terms of average best fitness, robustness and convergence.
KeywordsArtificial fish swarm algorithm Swarm intelligence Benchmark function Whale optimization algorithm Optimization
This research is supported by USM Global Fellowship (USM.IPS/USMGF/2/2016) and the Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) Malaysia Fundamental Research Grant Scheme (Grant no. FRGS/1/2017/203.PELECT.6071371).
- 2.Yang, X., Zhang, W., Song, Q.: A novel WSNs localization algorithm based on artificial fish swarm algorithm. Int. J. Online Eng. 12, 64–68, (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Rahman, I., Mohamad-Saleh, J.: Plug-in electric vehicle charging optimization using bio-inspired computational intelligence methods. Sustainable Interdependent Networks, pp. 135–147. Springer, Berlin (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Li, X.: A new intelligent optimization-artificial fish swarm algorithm. Doctor thesis, Zhejiang University of Zhejiang, China (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Rosely, N.F.L.M., Zain, A.M., Omar, A.H.: Improving simplification performance using FSA: experimental result. Indian J. Sci. Technol. 9, (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Rahman, I., Vasant, P., Singh, B.S.M., Abdullah-Al-Wadud, M.: Swarm intelligence-based optimization for PHEV charging stations. Handbook of Research on Swarm Intelligence in Engineering, p. 374 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Touma, H.J.: Study of the economic dispatch problem on IEEE 30-bus system using whale optimization algorithm. Int. J. Eng. Technol. Sci. 5, 1 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Suganthan, P.N., Hansen, N., Liang, J.J., Deb, K., Chen, Y.-P., Auger, A., Tiwari, S.: Problem definitions and evaluation criteria for the CEC 2005 special session on real-parameter optimization. KanGAL report 2005005 (2005)Google Scholar