Expressive Malay Online Speech Interface (EMOSI)
Speech Synthesis plays an important role in enhancing human-machine interaction. In recent decades, researchers are paying more attention on the emotional expression in the synthetic voice. This is because the appropriate emotion can help improve the naturalness of the synthetic voice and thus increase its acceptability by the public. This project aims at developing a HMM-based Malay emotional speech synthesizer that is practical to be deployed in real life application. In order to make it applicable to the public, an Expressive Malay Online Speech Interface (EMOSI) that is able to synthesize any form of Malay text input in different expression will be created.
KeywordsSpeech synthesis Malay Emotional expression HMM
The work leading to these results are funded by grant number 304/PKOMP/6315137.
- 1.Trueba, J.: Design and test of an expressive speech synthesis system based on speaker adaptation techniques (Unpublished master’s thesis). Universidad Politécnica de Madrid. http://gth.die.upm.es/juancho/pfcs/JLT/TFM-%20Jaime%20Lorenzo%20Trueba.pdf (2012). Accessed 19 Sept 2017
- 2.Hofer, G.O.: Emotional Speech Synthesis (Unpublished master’s thesis). Master of Science School of Informatics University of Edinburgh. https://www.inf.ed.ac.uk/publications/thesis/online/IM040151.pdf (2004). Accessed 19 Sept 2017
- 3.Text To Speech. http://www.nusuara.com/products/voice-solutions/text-to-speech/ (n.d.). Accessed 02 Nov 2017
- 4.Ze, H., Senior, A., Schuster, M.: Statistical parametric speech synthesis using deep neural networks. In: 2013 IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), pp. 7962–7966. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Tien-Ping, T., Ranaivo-Malancon, B.: Malay Grapheme to Phoneme Tool for Automatic Speech Recognition. http://www.cs.usm.my/v3/proof/Malindo-g2p-final.pdf (n.d.). Accessed 4 July 2017
- 7.Cherry, K.: What are the 6 major theories of emotion? https://www.verywellmind.com/theories-of-emotion-2795717 (n.d.). Accessed 23 Oct 2017
- 8.Gunes, H.: Automatic, dimensional and continuous emotion recognition (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.How words can be misleading: a study of syllable timing and ‘stress’ in Malay. http://www.linguistics-journal.com/2014/01/08/how-words-can-be-misleading-a-study-of-syllable-timing-and-stress-in-malay/ (n.d.). Accessed July 08 2017
- 12.Yamagishi, J.: The centre for speech technology research [Web log post]. http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/jyamagis/page3/page58/page58.html (n.d.). Accessed 21 Oct 2017
- 13.Implementation of realtime STRAIGHT speech manipulation system: report on its first implementation (Rep.). (2007, March 28). https://wiki.inf.ed.ac.uk/twiki/pub/CSTR/Speak08To09/STRAIGHT-Implement.pdf (2007). Accessed 19 Oct 2017